Gout extending recovery time of broken ankle?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been diagnosed with gout for 6+ years.  Since I've been on Allipurinol for the past, I haven't had an attack.  Howver, I have noticed that when I've sprained my ankle(few times as I play a lot of basketball), recovery seems to take a lot longer than usual, and as soon as I took Colchicine, it's much better within a few days.

Rewind to about 7 months ago, I broke my fibula in a rugby match and tore a bunch of ligaments that were attached.  I had a couple screws put in and they are now out.  The bone is completely healed, but I'm still limping around when this was supposed to be a 3 month recovery.  I can move my ankle in every direction and it doesn't hurt.  The only time it affects me is when I'm walking.  

I felt like this my long recovery time was due to gout.  The rheumotologist stated that uric acid could have filled in during the break, so he put me on a daily regiment of colchicine.  Since then, it's gotten worse.  I have good days and bad days.  My uneducated guess is that colchicine is doing it's job and clearing the uric acid.  However, it's now been a month since I've been on colchicine daily and still no overall improvement.  

Anyone else have any experience with gout extending recovery time of a broken ankle?

Thanks for your time.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Yes, as a gout sufferer without meds, any sprain or pulled muscle takes me anywhere from 3-6 weeks to heal. I hear it's common for gout sufferers to take a long time to heal.

• Posted

It's unfortunate, but it's good to hear that there's something to my theory.  Thanks for the response.

• Posted

Colchesine doesn't clear uric acid, allopurinol does. Colchesine reduces activity on certain immune cells reducing inflammation.

• Posted

The immune response of the white cells is essential for bone healing. Colchesine inhibits this. There has been lots of research showing it not only inhibits healing but the healing is less strong. Stop taking colchesine and change your doctor who should be aware of this.

This is one research article but there's plenty more:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/16023003/

• Posted

Thanks @rustygecko!  This information was incredibly informative and helpful.  I'm going to reach out to my doctor and stop colchicine for a while.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.