GOUT FEVER

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi…I am new to the forum. 

Please could you advise on polyarticular gout and fever.

I am 56, carrying 17.5 stones & have sufferered coventional gout for years with the usual swollen ankle, elbow or whatever. 

I did take allopurinol for some time, but stopped last year – long story/ big mistake !

Now I appear to be getting polyarticular sort of gout – I feel arthritic in all joints, nothing too swollen, but keep getting fevers like flu which makes me feel under tne weather.

I am desperatly trying to lose weight, doing gym work, running and swimming but feel the exercise might not be ideal at the mo. It may exacerbate my problems.

I am back on tne allopurinol, taking naproxen and ibuprofen plus tart cherry, Vit C and lots of water.

I am hoping as my weight drops further – I’ve lost a stone or two since Xmas – things will improve, but at the moment I feel full of aches everywhere and feel quite tired, fatigued and down. 

Is this something you folks are familiar with – the fatigue, aches all over and that occasional fever? Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. THanks in advance. 

I am just about to head away again on a job and have been hassling my Doc recently regarding my sugar control, so havent really had time to chat about this gouty phenomenon.

Thanks,

Andy

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Andy, sorry to hear of your situation.  Polyarticular gout sounds nasty.  Googling, I see discussions of it, and always questions of how to differentiate it from arthritis.  And I would add one more alternative, "pseudo-gout" which feels much the same but is caused by calcium rather than uric acid, so it does not respond directly to allopurinol - or to much of anything!

You say "sufferered coventional gout for years with the usual swollen ankle, elbow or whatever", how about your big toes?  When I hear of people with multiple joints NOT including the big toe, I suggest looking at pseudo-gout - and rheumatoid arthritis.  Sadly it's possible to have all at once! 

And pseudo-gout may even be a common, but less recognized, aspect of "polyarticular", as in my own case it seems to be associated with high uric acid, and yet is still a different thing.  The "trademark" of pseudo-gout seems to be that it MOVES between different joints very quickly, even within one day.  Have you experienced anything like that?

Anyway, some more ideas to discuss with your doctors.  Including of course Doctor Google!

• Posted

Big toes have been hit, but not so much in one nasty whammy.....these joints seem to have been eroded slowly, over time... And the problem is not that the condition is jumping from joint to joint. At the mo, I am not getting a sudden throbbing single red joint. instead I feel all my joints aching including hands, carpals, feet, shoulders, etc, etc... Like arthritis in all my joints, but it comes and goes daily. I am writing this now and I feel reasonably OK. Maybe it is the naproxen that helps? But perhaps tomorrow I will feel rough again, probably... I have a multi-meter, but it gives spurious UA readings. But they are all higher than 8 mg/dl. Thanks for your kind comments. Any further thoughts ? 

• Posted

Actually yes, I did have one further thought, I'd meant to include.  How is your blood sugar?  I've recently become, er, involved - that is, diagnosed! - with diabetes.  Extra weight, age, etc.  Tiredness.  Have you had a blood test that included fasting blood glucose, or A1C, recently?

I was borderline for several years and in retrospect probably should have treated it aggressively, now that I've been scared silly and forced to, I've been feeling much better overall.  May not be involved directly with the joints.

And for that matter, what about just plain arthritis?  Of course the only serious treatments for rheumatoid arthritis are the expensive biologicals, or the antique but still somewhat used methotrexate.  And then there is turmeric/curcumin which is often very helpful, and is also a bit of a mood elevator too.

• Posted

Yes, when I went into the Docs at Xmas feeling rough I had blood tests - not a UA test, I hasten to add. Glucose was elevated, but I have reduced this value significantly now and it is getting better still. This would not give me the arthritic symptoms though and is not uncommon in overweight people with metabolic syndrome. Anyway, I am addressing that and feel that my surgery have put more emphasis on that and totally ignored the joint ache and fever. I have another appointment, earliest in mid May ! One thing that I have been doing recemtly is alot of daily weight training which may have resulted in joint damage...

• Posted

Hi Andy, I've been near where you are. I use high potency Bromelain (GDU > 3500 ) for gout, and it clears the urate from your joints. It works really well, and doesn't have serious side effects like colchicine. I also take 200 Mg Trans-Resver atrol which lowers your urate production, and makes me fell great.  I hope this helps - Andrew

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.