Gout help - allergic to all drugs

Posted , 5 users are following.

Allergic to colchicine, allipurional, and uloric.

And probenecid not working either.

And bad candidate for iv drip therapy.

Doc never seen this before, just lucky I guess.

( don't have the purine red meat issue and last beer was in April, what's up with that?)

Ok everyone, what's next?  Who's got the magic........help

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

90% of patients are under exceters - kidney not doing its job. 10% are over producers of uric acid - liver issues.

However even in under extreters, the vast majority of the purines our bodies come from our bodies own tissues being recycled, not what we eat. Another way therefore of helping yourself is to reduce your body weight to something approaching ideal.

What were your allergy symptoms on Allopurinol?

There are of course other drugs apart from Allopurinol - febuxostat, as well as benzbromarone and sulfinpyrazone. These don't have the advantage of Allopurinol- cost - Allopurinol which is dirt cheap.

• Posted

Hi

When you say allergic to these drugs what are your symptons? There are a few alternatives to allopurinol (benzbromarone, febuxostat and sulfinpyrazone) but not colchicine

Thanks

• Posted

Hi and thanks for the 3 responses.

Yes, it's gout, analyzed under microscope.

Moved from toe to achilles which is really bothersome.

I'll ask next visit in January about these 2 drugs, benzbromarone  and sulfinpyrazone. 

Febuxostat = Uloric, which allerigic to.

Allipurional - bad rash, itching, slight chest pains, and tired.

Cocrochine - diaherra

Been cycling on prednisoe taper for 10 out of 12 months (20 for a week, 15 etc.)

Every time I go off it get a flair - geting really frustrating.

Not sure the trigger, only eat ground beef maybe once a week.

Had immunotherpy (ipilumab for melanona 5 yrs ago which caued a lower bowel obstruction (still get them if not careful) - beleive this is all tied in, but NOBODY seems to be able to tie together).

So, can't eat right, can't drink, can't live on prednisone forever, stuff is getting old.

Should I switch doctors?

(I know it's not his fault, my body is messed up, but still frustranating).

Need help and the magic. 

Thank you for your efforts

• Posted

Well Eddie

The only thing which helps gout that everyone agrees about and nobody gets allergic to - is water!

Have they done the test to see if you are producing too much uric acid or not excreting enough? They •might• be able to give something or advise you on how to either help the liver make less or get the kidney to kick out more.

Good luck.

• Posted

I would ask for a referral to a Rheumatologist, GP's tend to guess about gout treatments

Diarrhoea is a side effect of taking Colchicine, so I wouldn't say you were not necessarily allergic to it, ask for a stomach protector to lessen the effects. However you cannot keep taking high doses of Colchicine for very long, but in my experience it will help within a couple of days.

If you find the right treatment leading a normal (pain free) life is possible, it just takes time

Good luck

Thanks

• Posted

Colchacine doesn't just give me diarrhoea, it makes me violently ill. I was up all night after taking it, and I have been on Lanzaprozol for years (strong antacid). 

• Posted

You should try high potency Bromelain, GDU 2500 or more. It helps with acute symptoms, and lowers your uric acid levels. I find it works better than colchicine for gout inflamed joints.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.