Gout misery.....

Posted , 7 users are following.

So I got my first attack of gout completely out of the blue in February. I'm 37, I've no other medical problems or on any other medications but I am a bit overweight and not on a particularly healthy diet, but I don't take any alcohol. 

I rode the initial symptoms out with painkillers because I'd no idea what the problem was and thought I must have injured my foot somehow. Eventually I went to the Dr and got courses of Colchicine which have provided only very temporary relief, if any. 

Although the pain levels have risen and fallen somewhat since the initial onset I am now into 3 months since I have been able to walk properly and I can't even remember what its like to be pain free. Most of what I've read about gout attacks talk about the attack lasting for a few days or a week or two at most but this is not happening for me. Even when the Colchicine relieves the pain a bit, I can feel it building up again within an hour or two of the pain reducing. If I ever think that the pain is nearly gone, then 3 minutes of walking and I'm back to square one.

I've tried cutting lots of the standard recommended things out of my diet, and I'm taking cherry juice by the gallon. I'm beginning to think I'm going to be this way for ever. Maybe I should just cut my foot off. I could walk with a prosthetic better than I can now. 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Try celery seeds sprinkled on all food that is suitable, large jars available from the internet. Happy sprinkling!2
  • Posted

Yikes...3 months is a looong time. Were u tested for gout? Was your uric acid level checked, or any fluid drawn and tested? My doc has given me prednisone. This typically brings pretty good relief.
  • Posted

Chris, colchicine is one thing, but then there's the allopurinol, haven't you started on that yet?  When is the last time you spoke with the doctor?  You should not stay on the colchicine for more than a few days, or else something else needs to be done.

Certainly want to know your uric acid blood reading.

As for nutritional remedies, cherries have never done anything for me but celery and/or celery seed has been dramatically effective.  Even so, when your uric acid has been high for a while, it can take weeks and months for it to get back to acceptable levels.

What joints are affected for you, just the foot, just the toe?

It is also possible that some real damage has occurred to one or more joints, which may need to be looked at, but first you need to worry about the allopurinol or celery seed and blood levels.

• Posted

Thanks. I've been to the Docs twice over the period and he just gave me colchicine twice but each time just 4 tabs, so I've only taken it twice, not every day.

He told me they wouldn't consider allopurinol until its cleared up, but maybe he should press him on that.

I can't stand the taste of celery, so eating it isn't going to work but I'll certainly give seeds a go.

It's just my big toe joint on one foot that's affected, although I do have some stiffness and swelling in one of my finger joints, but its barely noticeable compared to the toe.

I had an xray when the pain first started as it seemed to be an injury and that looked normal then. So I'm hopeful there is not any other major damage to the joint. Even when I get pain its not actually in the joint itself, its a specific point on the medial side of the foot, next to the joint. At first it wasn't not diagnosed as gout in A/E because they said that if it was gout, the pain would be in the joint space itself. But my GP said that's not always the case and what I have definitely is gout...

• Posted

Sorry to hear this. Maybe you should try a different medication or higher dosage?

I was put on allopurinol by my consultant but it just gave me constant foot and ankle pains. Before that I was suffering three monthly episodes of manageable pains which resolved after a few days. 

After 5-6 weeks of constant pain I went to my doctor and he told me to stop taking allopurinol and instead try colchicine. That worked and I now feel much more mobile. I’m hoping I can soon make a return to sports.

I’ve also just cut out caffeine from my diet. I’m 6 days now without caffeine. It may be a coincidence as the colchicine is working as well but I think a lot of this is just trying to eliminate the food/drink that aggravates the gout condition.

• Posted

Update.... I took apple cider vinegar capsules and my gout disappeared literally overnight. I honestly can't believe it. I was completely sceptical about any kind of supplement would have any effect but it really did. After 2 days my foot is pretty much back to normal.

• Posted

They sound very effective !

I've PM'd you Chris, to ask for a link or a brand name - I don't think you're usually allowed to post links on the forum posts.

Glad to hear things improved that quick.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.