Gout - my feedback

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

Just thought it might be useful to share my experience as I have found this site very useful.

I was diagnosed 8 years ago after a sever attack and was put on allopurinol one a day for life.

Following a couple of subsequent attacks which is normal whilst the medication settles in I have remained attack-free since.

I was also prescribed indomethacin 75mg (slow'sustained release) - one a day to be taken as soon as symptoms present themselves.

Every 2 years I get an updated prescription for the indomethacin so I always have some ready if required.

Thank G-d I do as last week out of the blue I had an attack. I only ever suffer in my right big toe but as you all know wherever you get it is excruciating!

I took the indomethacin immediately but it has taken 6 days for the swelling and pain to start to reduce and it still is there in the background. Oh, the relief!

What I was really keen to discover is what caused this attack after so long with no issues.

I'm 52 and recently have started a fitness regime as I'm 3 stone over weight.

Having done some research I believe it's a hydration issue which brought this very unwelcome attack on so now I will drink obsessively all the time and not just when training. Anything to prevent another attack!

Good luck to all fellow sufferers - you are far from alone!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Thanks for sharing your experience with this website.

My husband has suffered with this problem due to extensive use of diuretics. He was prescribed Colchicine last November which had to be stopped almost immediately due to the onset of severe diorrhea. He has since been to see a consultant regarding management of his Gout, which like yours usually only affects his big toe. The consultant suggested he tried Colchicine again but at a very low dose, but unfortunately, this couldn't be tolerated due to the same results. He has since started Allopurinol 100mg as a maintenance drug to reduce his acid levels to below 300, currently they stand at 525. We have tried dietary approach but he has so many other things wrong with him it hardly leaves him anything to eat. He is only allowed maximum of 2 litres of liquid per day due to a tendency to retain fluid.

He takes Warfarin along with a cabinet of other drugs for heart failure, high blood pressure, Osteoporosis and has been recently diagnosed as being glucose intolerant. Not quite diabetic yet.

What I'd like to ask is has anyone noticed any side effects to these drugs making them feel 'a general unwell feeling' or could this be because of the combination of other drugs being taken causing this? My husband already takes Lustral for low mood episodes and anxiety.

Your comments would be appreciated

• Posted

I can only speak for myself and no, from taking Allopurinol for many years I have never had any side effects.

However, indomethacin (anti-inflammatory) is very powerful and if I take that on an empty stomach I do feel sick.

I wish you both well!

• Posted

thanks for sharing your experience

I'm 24 years old Asian gentleman and i would like to ask for a feedback regarding what have you experience in the past before you were diagnosed or have full blown gout symptoms.

out of curiosity, i just had a few blood test done couple of days ago which covers complete blood count, renal profile which include uric acid, lipid profile, liver function and urinalysis. i just found out that everything was normal except that my uric acid is borderline. the reading is 0.41mmol/L (normal range from 0.20-0.42mmol/L).

what have brought this matter to my attention is that, few month back, i started to feel pain in the left leg (big toe joint and knee joint) and also left hand (first finger joint pain).

thus i have made a few research and i found out that, people may have gout even with normal uric acid level in blood.

can anyone share with me do they experience all these before they really have gout? thanks a lot people smile

• Posted

hello, i was told by my doctor that the probable cause of the gout that i have been diagnosed with , is the use of the durietic tablets that i have been taken, which were recently increased, because i had a very bad attack of phelbitis in both legs. the extra dosage given to relive excess fluid, which had increased, as i was on high dosage of steroids, becaause of giant cell artiritis that had flared. seems we take medications to relieve one thing, and then it gives us another!!
  • Posted

I too found that indometacin didnt really work - 5 days in and hadnt really touched it once.  They then gave me Arcoxia which seem to work a bit better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.