Gout, no its not.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've suffered over the year with gout attacks, severe attacks. Over the last 10 weeks I've suffered numerous episodes, left knee, then left foot and then I presumed right foot. But no. I've had to attend hospital with the latest one. Waste of time. Sent me home with tramadol, It's lasted 14 days pain across top of my foot, burning pain in toes and underneath. Foot swollen and red. I'm now on morphine tablets topped with 8 paracetamol a day. Can't go on like this. It seems like it will never go. Been bed bound for 14 days. Any advice.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Edited

Hi Ian. at 14 days I would suspect your coming to the end of your latest attack.

I too get desperate gout attacks and I go all out to try and eliminate them. no half measures. this is what I do...

get yourself colchicine from your doctor. and strongest anti-inflammatory possible . drink 3 litres of water a day. turn your diet vegan for two weeks (I promise you'll survive without meat) bathe your foot in warm water with Epsom salts and drink cherry juice and try some turmeric as well.

just stick at it and you'll blast it away. if your overweight lose weight. it makes a huge difference.

• Posted

Thanks for your advice but having attended hospital I was told after a blood test it wasn't gout. They had no diagnosis

• Posted

Hi Ian

change your hospital.

it is not possible to say a gout attack is happening during an attack, as the attack itself reduces blood levels of uric acid - hence why the bloods should be done weeks after all symptoms gone.

You need to drink as much water as you can, and get hold of colchicine which will fix gout attack - assuming your kidneys are in good condition.

Do you take any other medication as that could be causing gout? Do you live in a hot climate? Which age group are you? i assume you are male?

Try either very cold or hot water on affected joints - or both. Drink water!

good health.

• Posted

Hi, I live in the UK and I've tried colchicine, diclofenac, and nuproxen,. It's just so frustrating. I can't sleep with it. Its 1.30 am now. Morphine tablets aren't dulling the ache.

• Posted

I have the same kind of attacks. Mine is a combination of gout and rheumatoid arthritis. I ice my foot several times a day. I take either prednisone or methylprednisolone for two days and its gone. i also take Tramadol on a regular basis for the RA. Sugar and alcohol are my triggers. Rarely do i have to take anything stronger. The burning isn't that often and its only in one area. My rheumatologist is baffled with it all but hopefully in time we can be pain free.

• Posted

Thanks for your advice but I'm not sure it's gout that I'm suffering with.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I'm not convinced it is gout. I've been on steroids, anti inflammatory tablets, anti biotic and now morphine. It's 14 days and I've been hospital and after having my blood tests they've said it isn't gout but dismissed me without a diagnosis. I'm worried it will cause long term damage as it isn't getting any better

• Edited

One of the biggest obstacles to proper gout care is misinformation & ignorance by doctors/health providers. After years of research & learning the hard way, I finally went to a rheumatologist to verify my prognosis & approach to gout treatment. Frankly, there's just too many doctors that are misinformed on gout. You should be on colchicine (colcrys) (daily to start/as needed afterwards) and start a daily regimen of alluporinol. This may make your symptoms worse for a few weeks, but that means the medicine is working. The #1 reason gout sufferers continue to suffer is they don't stay on their daily medication! People get to be OK after a few months, then say "I'm good -I don't wanna take this anymore." THAT is the problem.

• Edited

Thanks for that. I've suffered that much lately I'm just waiting for a window of time to start Alipurinol. I've had that many concoction I don't no what works and what doesn't. I intend to have my doctor pass me to a rheumatology as soon as possible. People don't understand how dibilitatingit is. Cheers

• Posted

Ian, you need to see a rheumatologist. Not everyone can take allpurinol because its hard on the kidneys. You very well may have rheumatoid arthritis. get an appointment as soon as possible.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.