Gout resolved 2 .5 days

Posted , 5 users are following.

I know everyone talks about cherries. Cherries work ok (organic dried , cherry juice). I used 3/4 cups Northland Cranberry juice 1/4 cup cherry juice. What really worked is the dandelion root tea twice a day- helps with kidney function

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Dandelion will increase production of urine. As long as it is accompanied by a corresponding increase in water intake, the logic would be that it should work. 

Thanks for this novelle suggestion. 

• Posted

I have read on internet that even if you do nothing gout should clear in 2 weeks as in you cant be  having gout forever, body finds the way to fix itself. Do we have cases where somoene didnt take meds and gor permanent gout that desroyed joints?

I guess 100 years ago people didnt have meds

• Posted

100 years ago people did have meds (e.g. Colchicine), however just go on the internet (search "gouty tophi fingers" and look at images) and see how crippled people became / are. Most gout attacks will resolve in 15 days, with or without meds. Some won't. I personally have never had an attack which lasted 15 days (I was several years without meds, not realising I had gout).

Not taking modern medication to reduce blood urate will however lead to joint damage, kidney damage, heart damage and more.

• Posted

According to Willaim Martin, a physician at UCLA Health (who has a very good objective talk about gout online) damage from high urate in your blood occurs around 12 mg/dL. Its right to be tested for high urate if you have issues, but its not a forgone conclusion that if you've had a gout attack you must go on a urate lower regimine of Allopurinol, that's for you an your doctor to decide. Actually losing weight, drinking more water, getting more excercise, can have a significant affect on your urate. Drugs are not without risks, and lifestyle changes that are implied, and not to be taken lightly as some here imply.

• Posted

A couple of observations:

I tried what Martin said, not because of him, but because there's a certain logic to it. I lost 18 kg in weight and cycled about 1500 kms per month. I drank loads of water. My blood cholesterol became perfect. My blood urate went down slightly, to just about in the normal range - but - and this is the most important - not to the point where my heart attack risk goes down or to the point where tophi disappear.

Once I took allopurinol and got the dose correct my blood urate dropped to 3, and tophi reduced.

As for the downside and side effects of allopurinol- for the vast majority there are no side effects.

In a way I grateful to the gout for making me so fit.

The advice that Martin is giving is against the advice of the recognised world authority of the UK NICE.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.