GP, anxiety & depression diagnosis

Posted , 2 users are following.

This may be a question the forum has seen hundreds of times, my question is, can a GP diagnose anxiety and depression, the reason I ask is that it states it on my current problems on-line medical records, I just wondered if that was definitive.

I ask because my work can make alterations to my hours of work but only if I have a diagnosis?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Yes of course doctors can diagnose anxiety and depression,  though they are not experts.  This is why they often refer you to a counsellor for more expert help.   A doctor diagnosis is accepted by any institution such as work.

What you are talking about workwise is them making 'reasonable adjustments' if you want them.   Tell them your doctor has diagnosed you with dep/anx - this is fine.  x

• Posted

Thank you hypercat, this is most reassuring and will help make sense when policies state "diagnosis" it's just the phased return that I believe may help as I've been off 8 months with surgeries, procedures and med infusions and hence the Subsequent mind disability

• Posted

Good I am glad this was helpful for you Paul.  You should be able to do a phased return - not sure if this is the law but it should be stated in your contract of employment. 

Don't be afraid to ask for 'reasonable adjustments' as well if you need them.  This can be things like extra breaks,  taking some work away from you etc.  These are all subject to 'business needs' though.  If they don't offer some though and you leave your job because of it or are sacked,  then you have a good case for tribunal. 

Good luck and let us know how you get on.  Bev x

• Posted

Hi Paul .. wow can't believe your work has access to your medical records!  Guessing you're in a different country than me I'm in Australia and it would be up to me to tell work if I thought it necessary or not that I had dep/anx which I did and they guessed as I took along time off work after my daughter passed away and they were really cool with all the days off I had thereafter for a few years at coping.

• Posted

Hi, yes UK, however it's not standard practice however I gave permission due to the complexity of diagnosises leading up to the dep/anx, being an 8 month struggle it seemed the best way for my employer to a) understand and b) support without dismissal

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.