GP appointment- what to expect

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have today received a phone call from my GP regarding my last hba1c blood test. I have been called in for a double appointment with the GP. 3 months ago my hba1c was 48, and my recent result was 49. I don’t know what to expect from my GP appointment.  

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tammy, 

I am not a diabetic and haven’t been in the position that you currently are but from a little research on forums I can tell you what to expect. 

A hba1c reading of 49 isn’t ‘ridiculously’ high. It is nearing a diabetic diagnosis however. So your doctor may discuss this with you, they may also discuss diet plans and/or weight loss plans (if you are overweight). I doubt you’ll be put on any medication right now unless they are convinced that you cannot lower your hba1c naturally. So in short they may attempt to reverse your hba1c naturally and hopefully get it at a healthy reading again. Discuss with you diet etc. Then they may take another reading in 3 months or so to see any improvement. Worst case scenario you may be put on medication.

Hope this helps, and best of luck to you, hope it goes well smile 

• Posted

Your readings are at the top end and obviously haven't dropped to the levels that the prescribed medication should have produced. Your doctor will probably want to discuss this and your lifestyle and eating habits because something is interrupting the efficiency of the medication, Rather than worry about it, why not try and work with your doctor so that they can get the prescription balance right. A chat can only benefit you and reduce the impact of this disease.

I would be really interested in the outcome so please kept us all updated - and good luck!

• Posted

Hi, this will be my first visit to the GP regarding this issue, I’ve not had any medication prescribed. I will let you know how it goes. Thank you 😊 

• Posted

Ok.. well take everything in your stride and don't panic. It will probably entail a few lifestyle changes and better dietary control, but it really helps to work with your doctor - at this stage at least until you know more about your health. The medication may have some side effects but we are all different and may react differently to the same medication. It will be trial and error and again, work with your doctor if something doesn't agree with you - there will invariably be an alternative for you to use. My meds haven't changed for 3 years now and being T2 has less and less impact on my lifestyle now that I am accustomed to it.

Hope it goes well for you.

• Posted

Hi Tammy, you must be in the UK. Our numbers are done a little differently here in the US. Here, 6.5% or above is diabetic, owever people here get really freaked because they recently lowered the test ranges. So all of a sudden, tons of people who weren't diabetic before, are now and they’re really confused. But that’s here. 

I found this explanation online, but I think this is more for glucose testing: ‘For the majority of healthy individuals, normal blood sugar levels are as follows: Between 4.0 to 5.4 mmol/L (72 to 99 mg/dL) when fasting. Up to 7.8 mmol/L (140 mg/dL) 2 hours after eating.’

I found this information about a1c test levels:

‘Indications of diabetes or prediabetes are given under the following conditions:

Normal: Below 42 mmol/mol (6.0%)

Prediabetes: 42 to 47 mmol/mol (6.0 to 6.4%)

Diabetes: 48 mmol/mol (6.5% or over)’

So it looks like you’re just at the start of diabetes. Not to worry, get some new food habits and increase your exercise. You’ll need to do a lot of research on hiw to eat properly, but its worth the effort- you’ll not be able to eat a bunch of sweets, but with a strict diet and exercise program, you can drastically reduce the risk of diabetic complications, which are truly horrible. 

Any extra expense you incur from higher food costs are made up for by better quality of life, better longterm health and lower medication costs. Also all the meds have tons of side effects and can cause irreversible health conditions. You’ll wsnt to check the list  of manufavturer’s side effects on any meds you take.

If you find diet and exercise do not improve the problem after three months, you may want to look into possible underlying illnesses, such as chronic pancreatitis, or hypothyroid disease.

Good luck!!!!

• Posted

Thank you, that’s a really good explanation. I will definitely look into a better diet, I will have a problem with exercising though as I suffer with a muscle condition that limits my ability to exercise. Hopefully the GP will be able to guide me with this 😊

• Posted

Hi Tammy.

As Brendon said it's not massive. In the UK the diagnostic point for type 2 is 48 or above so your very much borderline. They probably at this stage want to discuss diet, activity, weight to stop progression to full blown and needing to take medication etc.

Hope all goes well.

• Posted

Expect: talk about diet, talk about exercise, talk about losing weight, and possibly an offer to give you metformin pills in a minimal dose.  Suggest you take it all seriously, even though the numbers are actually still very marginal.  Just the diet and exercise may fix it and prevent tons of trouble downstream.

Oh, and for extra credit, ask about getting your own BG monitor at home.  No reason to wait until you have diabetes to get one, when getting one now can help *prevent* you from getting it at all!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.