Gp diagnosed me ... next step ?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I'm a 26 year old postal worker. For the last three weeks I've been having really bad palpitations ... the worst one lasted 8 hours, the following day I went to the doctor who booked me in for a ECG a week later. Fortunately at the time of the ECG I was having a pulpitation episode ... 187bpm. I then had to see the DR straight after and he said it was STV. He has now referred me to the cardiology dept ... just wondering what happens from here ... since having these attacks they are making me really anxious and aware of my heart beating

Any advice appreciated

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

They will probably do a stress test maybe, when you go on the treadmill and probably prescribe you medicine to lower your heart rate. Possibly talk to you about a cardiac ablation. Yes anxiety makes you more aware of your heart beats and probably helps it elevate higher. Your GP didn't give you any anxiety meds?

• Posted

Nope the doctor gave me no anxiety tablets ... just referred me to the cardio dept and now I'm awaiting a appointment. Had another episode since ... I'm worried about having to take daily tablets as I'm not very good at taking tabs ...

• Posted

Hi. Sorry you're troubled by this. Its good you're not on anxiety meds so far because they're definitely to be avoided unless you're desperate. They work great at first but make you extremely anxious without them unless you wean yourself off them very very gradually over several weeks or months.

The Cardio people will do some tests and then probably prescribe some meds to try to prevent SVT. Everybody's different, the meds work well for years for some but not that great for others. 

Depending on your particular results, they might suggest an ablation. That procedure is low risk with a high success rate. I had one five years ago and haven't had an SVT episode since. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.