GP directed me to a Private hospital for a inspection.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Dear all,

I have a problem passing my stool and when i visited my GP she gave me an appointment to visit a consultant in a private hospital.

Few weeks back i visited the consultant and he diagnosed as "Anal Fissure" and suggested using some medication for few weeks and did not encourage surgery.

Yesterday I received a letter for another appointment in 3 weeks time for a testing where they will using a local anesthetic.

But the worrying matter for me is that this procedure will be charged and as per the letter either i should have a health insurance to cover the cost or has to bear the cost by myself.

To be honest with you up to this point i was not aware about any medical charges and i thought NHS will cover the fees.

1. Can I cancel this appointment and ask my GP to direct me to a NHS doctor and let me have the treatment/surgery ?
  2. Do GPS transfer patients to private consultation rather than to a government doctor?
  3. Will i be charged for the first visit?Any idea about the fees/penalty?

Thank you in advance

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I would ask for an appointment with the initial GP as soon as possible to ask these questions. Also ask why they sent you to private in the first place. If the procedure is colonoscopy, they definitely have this on the nhs to identify any internal abnormalities.

I truly hope you aren't charged for this as you don't seem to have had a proper explaination about what is going on.

Beverley

• Posted

hi ive had ct scans and many more procedures at private hospitals after being sent by my gp its all free on the nhs

• Posted

Try phoning the GP practice and asking one of the receptionists. They will either be able to tell you them selves or direct you to another member of staff or the GP to answer your questions.

This may be an NHS clinic in a Private setting,which is fairly normal these days

Alternatively,there is probably a phone number on the original appointment letter you received so try phoning that number to ask your questions.

The letter itself may be a standard letter so the part about charging should have been crossed out. Private treatment usually needs money up front.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.