GP is not helpful at all

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi I am new on here and need some advice. 10 years ago I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I moved to a different part of the UK and when I registered with a new gp he told me that as I worked full time there was no way I had fibromyalgia and to forget that diagnosis. I was so upset and felt ashamed soI never mentioned it again. Several years later I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis but know that I have fibromyalgia as well. I am really struggling but my new gp is also of the opinion it's all in my head. How on earth do I get an official diagnosis. I live in West Yorkshire. I need to get something official as I am struggling at work and am at my wits end. Every day I get up at 5 am just so I can try to get moving and get to work for 8 o'clock. My mental health is suffering but no one seems to want to help me especially not my gp. Where do I turn to?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

hi Lizzeedee, how are you doing? I just saw your post and realised no one has replied. I don't have any advice but I just wanted to say hi. I was diagnosed with Fibro in June this year, paid privately to see a rheumatologist who was clearly beyond bored talking to me. He asked me what my GP thought it might be and I mentioned that Fibro had come up a couple of times in my consultations, with that he wrote up some notes, printed a leaflet off on Fibro and prescribed me with 10mg of Amtriptyline. That cost me £200, I was thrust out if his clinic and have never been seen since. Its such a lonely condition because nobody understands, you've nothing physical to show anyone, people think you're just a stress head and a hypochondriac and before you know it you feel very isolated from normality and your loved ones. I myself get bored of talking about it to my husband but with so many symptoms on a daily basis its hard to ignore. So that's all from me, I hope you've made some head way with a diagnosis since you posted although I have to say, even after being diagnosed, nothing changes 😏

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.