GP not interested!

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with menieres by ENT  consultant for four years. I have  the spinning vertigo,vomiting,tinnitus,deafness and balance problems and have managed to attend work with out a sick note. 

I recently had a vertigo attack in the street resulting in me falling and unable to walk then the vomiting started. I tried to return to work but now suffer balance problems and hopefully will return to normal.

I attended my gp to get my first sick note just for a week until I can start feeling able to cope with the balance problem.I explained what had happened he then looked in my ears and said your ears are fine nothing wrong with them and try taking decongestant for the ear fullness. I will give you a note but I'm sure you will be better and won't need another one.

I left feeling I had wasted his time and my confidence completely knocked thinking had I imagined all my symptoms for four years. Has anyone else experienced this from a gp? I have fantastic care from my ENT consultant who I see every six months but can't go to him if I need time off work and support in between visits

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Suggest you contact your ENT consultant's secretary and ask for advice, He ought to write to your GP to put him straight and indicate what medication you need.

I hope you are already on betahistine. You probably need a high dose over several months to get you back under control.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply NeddyO

I rang yesterday to see my  consultant as I am due my six month check ,he had a waiting list of 18months but explained having problems. I have now got an appointment for the 12th September. 

I didn't think to ring his secretary and ask for advice,I will do that today.

thanks again

• Posted

Hi Barbara.  What are doing to manage your MD symptoms?  Are you eliminating salt, caffeine, alcohol from your diet?  What meds are you taking? Are you on a diuretic...what dose?
    • Posted

Hi tanney

I am on a low salt diet and take 32mg betahistine 3xdaily also buccastem for vertigo and sickness. I did try bendroflumetiazide but I ended up with a itchy rash so had to stop.

Maybe my meds need increasing so will try and speak to my consultants secretary today.

Thanks for your reply.

• Posted

Dear Barbara,

I'm so, so sorry this happened to you!  How horrible!  Next time you see your ENT consultant, perhaps you could ask him to write a letter or send a copy of your records to the GP?  You would think a GP would know better than that....Sigh. 

Hope you feel much better, soon!

Take good care,

J-

• Posted

Dear JMJ

I managed to get an appointment to see my consultant in September after saying having problems.

I just thought a gp would at least be able to give some advise about my medication or at least believe me.I don't think he realised he made things worse by his comments i left in tears.

• Posted

It's a terrible feeling, when it appears that a doctor doesn't believe you or understand what you're talking about.  I completely understand your ending up in tears!

So glad to hear that you'll be seeing your ENT consultant relatively soon.  I hope s/he will send word to your GP so that you won't have to deal with that sort of situation again.

Take good care, Barbara

J-

• Posted

Barbara I find a GP knows

sweet f a about Menieres and they just read from standard notes on it. I have been lucky in that my ent consultant has given me a contact number for him.

• Posted

Hi Lizzie

He really knocked any confidence I had suffering this awful condition. He offered me no help at all and I left in tears.

It was really frightening just walking along and suddenly falling over everything was spinning and my legs wouldn't move.There was no one about to help( I think couldn't see) or maybe they thought I was drunk or drugged. 

I managed to get back to the house luckily only just left the house so just had to stagger 200 yards.

Then had full blown vertigo sweating vomiting and diarrhoea!!

The gp just looked at me and don't think he believed what I was saying. He gave me no advice about my medication just told me to buy a decongestant to clear my ear. 

I am now feeling guilty at being at home recovering and hope I feel better in a week because I couldn't go back to him to get another sick note......aaaahhh.

• Posted

Hi Barbara, you should explain to your Ent person that you get no support from your GP and ask is there any way you can contact him yourself. Maybe look to changing your Gp explaining why.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.