GP problems - has anyone else had this?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was diagnosed as hypothyroid a few years back, and until this year have been absolutely stable with my thyroxine dose.

However, my levels this year have significantly deteriorated (coincidentally or not with the start of a new job and working stupid hours) and I was put on a higher dose.

At my last appointment, my GP said that my thyroid levels were still too low, but the blood tests show that I'm not taking my medication regularly so she won't put the dosage up. (I am taking my medication every day without fail and have been ever since I was diagnosed; she just doesn't believe me!)

So now I'm left trying to cope with the symptoms, but I can't get further help \"until I start taking my tablets\". And I think it's worse that I know exactly what is causing this exhaustion and pain that I feel.

Has anyone else had this issue, and what did you do?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I don't understand why the GP thinks you are not takingyouir tablets. Do you mean that your blood tests still show your levels to be high? That doesn't mean you are not taking your tablets, just that the dosage is not correct for you.

Stress can play havoc with thyroid levels. Are you taking any other medication such as heparin or warfarin, Lithium, beta blockers or steroids as these can interfere with the absorption of thyroxine. Also thyroxine should be taken first thing in the morning on an empty stomach to maximise absorption. In adition, iron preparations and anything with calcium in (such as supplements) should not be taken withing 2 hours of thyroxine for the same reason.

If none of these facors apply you might like to read my post on T4/T3 combination and conversion problems.

hyroid UK is also an excellent source of help and advice. You can google it and it will bring up the site - I am not allowed to post the link on here.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Alicia.

• Posted

That should read [u:2428ef7437]Thyroid UK[/u:2428ef7437], I am suffering with fat finger syndrome this morning :roll:
  • Posted

You probably know this but lots of things can affect your meds

1)Make sure that you get the same brand every time.

2)take your meds on an empty stomach

3)are you taking any other meds or vitamins as the absorbsion can be affected

4)are you eating any goitre type foods

5)Thyroxin levels can be influenced by caffeine and calcium intake

6)The liver uses glucose to convert thyroxine (T4) to its active form, triiodothyronine, or liothyronine (T3). If there is not sufficient T3 present in the body. If the liver uses up its store of glycogen, the process of converting T4 to T3 comes to a stop.. so support your other glands with the right foods!!

There are many reasons. you need to find out all you can about the complaint and then you can go fully informed to your GP..then you can go and get them to help you…if necessary get them to refer you to an endocrinologist.. If the GP won’t help you find a GP that will.

Knowledge is power

• Posted

Has anyone ever been told that Thyroxine can adversely affect your liver?
  • Posted

When in doubt, blame the patient!! NEVER let your GP reduce your meds, always do it yourself on HOW YOU FEEL, not blood results!! Write to the practice manager at your GP's surgery and tell them you are fed up of being bullied and lied to /about, explain in the letter that you are taking your meds as instructed by the doctor and if he / she is not satisfied then your dose needs adjusting, not you being called a liar!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.