GP says I would only feel increased anxiety for the first few days

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all,

I’m just looking for some clarification from Sertraline users. It seemed like a lot of people got increased anxiety before finally feeling relief from Sertraline. I’ve been on my 50mg dose for the last 17 days. After about 9 days, I started to feel a big increase in anxiety and negative thoughts. When I spoke with my GP’s Office today, he said he would only expect increased anxiety for the first few days. I’m trying to get appointments with actual psychiatrists, but wanted your opinions in the mean time. Thank you!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It’s different for everyone,  but for me the increased anxiety didn’t really start to calm down for about 2-3 weeks.  Try and hang in there,  and maybe you can get something else prescribed like Xanax or Klonopin to help until the Zoloft has a chance to work it’s way in.  I am 3 1/2 weeks in and just starting to feel some relief, although I am still far from better.  It is a slow acting med,  but works well once it is in your system.  Good idea to try and talk to a psychiatrist.  They know more about side effects and things with this type of medicine than most GPs.  
  • Posted

I would agree. The first relief I found was 3 weeks... I know everyone is different but your doctor was wrong in saying 3 days..m that's way too short a time for sertraline to get to work x

• Posted

Hi..

I'd say 3 to 4 weeks until the heightened anxiety stops. That's my personal experience. I was on 50mg for 2 years but recently had to increase to 75mg. The same side effects again but only for a week and not as bad as 1st time. Hang in there. You're not alone xx

• Posted

Hi there, I also found there was a delay of about this period before the side affects started to kick in. One thing I have noticed on here is that everyone’s story is a little bit different. Hope you feel better soon 👍

• Posted

Update! I’ve been feeling better in the evenings for the past few days, but the working days have been rough. I went to see a psychiatrist today and it was incredibly helpful. She said my GP was wrong, but that increased anxiety before SSRI’s kick in is very typical and likely what I’m experiencing. She doesn’t think Sertraline is for me, and is switching me over to Citalopram (Celexa) and Buspirone (Buspar). She said I have a head start because I’ve been taking Sertraline, but that the next two weeks will likely be rough. It’s at least nice to know a time frame. Thanks everyone for your help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.