GP wants me to switch to Sertraline arghhh!

Posted , 13 users are following.

My GP wants me to swop to sertraline today. I started citalopram on 6th dec and it hasnt really settled with me, anxiety and side effect wise. I am having constant muscle twitching and jerking keeping me awake at night so he says its not suiting me! How frustrating is this journey, I just want to settle and get back to my old self 😦 anyone have an opinion on this?x

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hey aimee, didnt the jerking etc start when you increased? x

• Posted

I have had the jerking, twitching and weakness at whatever dose I started on 10 then 20 now 30.

• Posted

It started after I increased yes, decreased a week ago and its just as bad, in fact like night was the worst night so far very frustrating i dont know what to do because there isnt a right or wrong answer, its just trial and error isnt it x

• Posted

aw it is lovely, and i cant really tell you what to do, just know if it was me id give the lower dose more time as the up and down will be effecting you right now x

• Posted

What dose are you on. I would personally say it is still early days. I still get those physical effects and am now on week 23 on 30mg but my anxiety has really improved and my mental outlook too but this has only happened recently

• Posted

it stl very early days hun and if u went from 10 to 30 in that short of a time thats why this is happening. i started 8th oct now week 19 and still on 20.. still room fr improvement but slowly getting there..i started on sertraline hated them but each of has a different experience on each med xx

• Edited

Hi Aimee

Sorry you’re having issues with this meds, but like the others say, I’d personally also persevere with this on a lower dose. You’ve only been on this just over 2 months so still early times.

Though you decreased a week ago the effect won’t have taken place yet - there’s always a long lag after any increase or decrease on SSRI meds.

Your doctor has your best interests at heart though, and yes it is trial and error getting the right meds to suit you. I’ve taken 3 different ones, and all worked well but the first gave me awful anger issues, the second was discontinued and the third was bingo!

If you’re swapping meds I hope your doc is doing a cross taper?

• Posted

Hey Kate!

I'm not having a smooth journey at all this time around with Citalopram!!

He has told me to do a straight swop - because I am already taking an SSRI medication he says it won't be like starting from the beginning with one. The muscle jerking is so severe he doesn't want me to take any more Citalopram. 😦 I didnt have any side affects like this last time I was on Citalopram. I can't understand it. I'm more than fed up. The not sleeping is worse than my anxiety so the way I see it, I haven't got much to lose by giving Sertraline a try because I can't see how it could be any worse. I've been awake all night 😦

• Posted

Sorry you are suffering like this. I've been trying the Epsom salts as foot soak think they help bit with sleep, hope you soon improve whatever you decide to do. These meds do seem to cause a variety of side effects for some people

• Posted

Hello Kate....i been on lexapro for about 3 months. Started with 5mg and then 10 mg for 5.5 weeks....and now on 15mg for about 6.5 weeks. Since starting 15mg, i had great weeks 3-5 with no anxiety and i was being myself. Since week 6, have had mild anxiety creep in now and then every other day. Couple of days back i was picture perfect for two days and didnt think of medication and just went about my daily tasks. Last couple of days, mild anxiety has creeped now and then and it kinda woke me up and got me restless. Does it appear 15mg might be running its course and I may need to move up to 20 mg ? Or 15mg can give better results given more patience to adjust to my body. ? Thanks much for your thoughts

• Posted

Hi Jim

I’ve messaged you too.

The meds don’t run their course - they’re not addictive (ie your body doesn’t get used to them so you don’t need to increase), but think you’re just going through the routine recovery path, and its just waiting for them to take full effect.

Some people find they feel great to start with, and then the blips start to happen which are quite normal. It took me 6 months to recover, and along the way I was up and down quite a lot.

But yes, much more time is needed and patience too.

The message I sent explains about anxiety and some helpful links too. Understanding these meds and anxiety is so helpful.

K x

• Posted

Does a dose change reset the recovery process ? thnx

• Posted

Hi Katecogs please could you send this to me as well as i think i need to understand all this better. Thanks x

• Posted

Hi Kate. Can you private message me about information to do with anxiety please. Thanks xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.