GP won't give me blood test results

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I had some blood tests done 2 weeks ago and since I want to keep a copy for my own reference and track my symptoms I went to my practice to ask for July's results which consisted of a full blood count, electrolytes and some vitamin and mineral. I got the vitamin and mineral ones with no problem but when I realised that the liver function and full bloods had red flags next to them I got worried and couldn't understand why the doctor didn't print off the whole lot as requested.

So, I went back to the practice today and asked the receptionist for a copy. She told me that the GP needs to sign off my request and the receptionist asked me to wait for the copy to be printed off. She gave me a copy of results that were from August and not July! I thought I have a right to see my results? Why is it that the two blood tests that have warning flags against them are ones that my doctor doesn't seem to want me to see?

I don't understand the problem. If something is wrong on the blood tests why can I not see the problem or be made aware of it?

Thanks.

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Could be the red flags mean not available at mo.

However make an appointment with the GP and demand an explanation alongside the FULL results.

In the UK it depends from trust to trust, GP to GP etc. I have had quite a few blood test and never been sent the results.

• Posted

Yes, I will look to ask an explanation for the results.

It is for red blood cell count.

Previous results are:

May 2013 - 5.33 (3.80 - 4.80 10*12)

August 2013 - 4.94 (3.80 - 4.80 10*12)

May 2014 - 4.82 (3.80 - 4.80 10*12)

I am sure that August this year is the same.

I Googled it although I probably shouldn't have, and the medical term is polycythemia vera.

• Posted

Jay, don't read too much into it, there could have been a mistake when they were testing the bloods.

I would go and see your GP and ask him/her to explain the results to you  Don't 'demand' because that will get his back up immediately.

In our practice, the receptionists were stopped from giving results, then they started again and my last results were 'normal' and 'satisfactory' whatever that means.  It is when unqualified people enter the equation that things are misrepresented.  I subsequently saw my Consultant, who was annoyed that the receptionist had given me the results and he explained what 'satisfactory' meant.  In my case, my lft was slightly elevated but within normal limits.

In your case, perhaps they looked at the July result, which may have had a slightly elevated result in one case but it could be back down again in August.  Discuss it with your GP.

• Posted

Hi, thanks for reply.

The July blood test was for complete blood test and liver function, the August one was just for female sex hormones and ferritin.

The concern I have is that every time I have a complete blood test done, my red blood cell count comes back high. With my autoimmune illnessit is considered a red flag to have high red blood cells.

• Posted

Errors can happen, mine was once left in the sun which altered it and the potassium levels ended up so high I should have been dead 4 times over. Another was taken and this time handled properly.

Seriously though speak to your GP and express your concerns to them, get them to tell you practice policy on result release at the same time.

• Posted

Hello Mrs Mop, Just to add to the mix.

All notes that are kept by a GP belong to the NHS not to the paitent. 

As such GP/s or doctors are not obliged to provide you with copies of results/notes but should always be prepared to have a full and frank discussion with you about them.  

I agree with MM, requesting your resuls as an unqualified person presents a number of issues and in many cases where the numbers dont quite hit the normal range, bear in mind that the normal range only accoutns for 95% of 'normality' and the other 5% may be higher or lower than this but still be normal. 

The decision made by clinicans on your resutls is multi faceted and will include your recent histroy, medicaitons, reasons for the bloods tests being taken into account and not soley based on number and ranges quoted. This makes it more difficult to provide results to a lay person who is not qualified or geared towards interpreting the clinical picture accurately. 

You can always ring back later, and if you do have them beware the self diagnosing doctor!

• Posted

The data may "belong" to the NHS and not the patient, but the NHS still has to comply with Section 7 of the Data Protection Act 1998 (except for in exceptional circumstances, which this is unlikely to be) and provide the personal information held about an individual upon request by that individual. They can insist that you submit a formal "Subject Access Request" and they may charge for providing the data (up to £50, but again unlikely to be that much, if any, for a simple single-page printout of results), but they cannot refuse to do so.

Interestingly many receptionists will say "because of the Data Protection Act" when declining to provide the results when they don't actually know what is covered by the DPA.

More info can be found at the Information Commissioner's Office website: ico.org.uk

• Posted

What autoimmune disease do you have Jay?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.