GP won't prescribe 60mg Mirtazapine. What can I do?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

I have been taking 60mg/day of Mirtazapine for the last 6 years, it has been very effective, I have tried without success many other medicines before.

I started taking Mirtazapine abroad, because I moved to the UK 2 years ago.

Until now doctors in the UK had no problems prescribing me the required dosage, I have letters from the psychiatrist (the original one, when I was not in the UK) with the diagnosis (depression) and the prescribed 60mg/day.

Until now: because the new GP is refusing to prescribe more than 45mg/day, because it is not in the manual.

Obviously I am very worried, I am not willing to go down to 45mg, it is too risky.

Please, what can I do?

If a psychiatrist (maybe a private practice) is willing to prescribe me the 60mg/day in the UK, would/could the GP accept that and prescribe me the 60? (I am thinking of contacting the old doctor, who has colleagues who share the same approach).

Thank you for your advice. 

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, 🙂

im sorry to hear your problem at the moment. It’s very unfair to be given a certain mg that suits you only to be taken away.

I too am on Mirtazipine 45mgs it’s just been upped to what it was it reduce to 30mgs a while back as they introduced another antidepressant as well. 

I have been on the higher dose now for only a little while as this was recommended by a CPN dr back to 45 mgs. It worked better and hope it will again.

For you I’s it possible to go to your dr again explain this is the dose YOU are comfortable on at the moment, one you’ve been prescribed until now.

Having it taken out of your hands has been a shock of course, it’s what to do.

so maybe a call to the person who originally prescribed this dose for you say you’re  having your dose droppped and they can prehaps talk with the dr that has now reduced it.

It’s very hard I know when you know what helps,what works for you and people want to go back to the manual (as in only meant to be prescribed 45mgs) but someone of a profession has prescribed this knowing what the “norm”. Is.

So my advice  for what it’s worth and looking from the outside in is just that go back to your dr please, it may mean some phone calls and going back to say how you feel and how yo7 feel it will affect you.

Can I add it’s very unfair for this Dr not too even approach a reduction to you, just to drop is unkind I feel! But that’s just my option And I do feel for you.

Give it a go a try and see what happens good luck 

take care

keep us posted

vicky🌈

• Posted

Hi not39821

you are more than welcome, I hope you get the medicine and the dose you need and it works out for you

like I said keep us posted if you can

take care now

vicky🌈

• Posted

Hi Vicky,

Do you think changing surgery would be a very bad idea? 

• Posted

If your new GP is only willing to prescribe the new dose He must have a good reason, I do not know the maximum dose so I can only suggest something may have come down the wire a reduction is advisable.

You have been on your medication over an extended period and He may be  considering the dose you have been problematic over the period you have taken it. If you are unhappy get a second opinion in your new practice ans see how it goes, I would imagine however your old GP may consider and kneel to your new GPs recommendations.

We all go through periods of drug reductions and increases. Many, we can become addicted too ??. Or Nice may have changed the recommendations on this drug

BOB

• Posted

If your new GP is only willing to prescribe the new dose He must have a good reason, I do not know the maximum dose so I can only suggest something may have come down the wire a reduction is advisable.

You have been on your medication over an extended period and He may be  considering the dose you have been problematic over the period you have taken it. If you are unhappy get a second opinion in your new practice ans see how it goes, I would imagine however your old GP may consider and kneel to your new GPs recommendations.

We all go through periods of drug reductions and increases. Many, we can become addicted too ??. Or Nice may have changed the recommendations on this drug

BOB

• Posted

I am also on Mirtazapine 60 mg with prescription and lower dose than 60 mg does not work for me.
    • Posted

Hi there,

I just got bumped to 60mg since my body metabolized Mirtz too fast—according to the gene sight test I took.

How long before it starts to relieve your depression?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.