Grade 3 Ankle Sprain - Treatment options 5 months post-injury

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi all,

I sprained my ankle really bad early Jul'17. I chose not to cast it (did an xray, fracture was ruled out) however did not know extent of ligament damage. 

I wore a walking boot and was weightbearing - even though it hurt a lot. Once I could walk, I would push myself, and after a few weeks even did 2 5k runs (with it hurting - thought if I treated it 'normally' it should be fine). I even did heavy weightlifting with it. 

3 months post injury, it would still hurt. Got an MRI: Complete tear ATFL, severe tear CFL, and several tendon injuries. Also a small avulsion fracture where my ligament was pulled. 

Started PT a month ago and stiffness has improved a lot, however there is still pain and swelling.

Not sure if anyone has been in similar situation - is it worth casting at this stage? Will PT help at this stage? What are my non-surgical options? I want to avoid surgery at all costs. I don't feel unstable, just chronic pain and swelling. Stability, ROM and Stiffness seems manageable, but pain pain pain!

Thanks in advance for any insights. 

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hi, i find your experience interesting.

my ankle is very unstable, i suffered a comminuted fracture last year, bones took months to heal. i didn't exercise the foot like i should have. then opted for ligaments reconstruction surgery (deltoid on one side and 3 smaller ligaments on the other side), i spent 2 months nwb. during summer the ankle started to hurt again and in september i was diagnosed with stress fractures (my leg bones were weak).

finally this year i started to use the leg but i overdid as i started to run too soon, i just refractured it yesterday.

i think i should have insisted more with exercises before the ligament surgery. i hope the ligaments survived this new injury, but i'm happy to read positive outcome without surgery.

can i ask why you preferred the boot over the cast? i used both and think the cast is much better.

• Posted

Hi Oscar,

Really sorry to hear about your refracture - I do realise its been a while... how is it doing?! 

To be honest the biggest thing you can give yourself is TIME TO HEAL - I know it sounds frustrating and the last thing you want to hear... but there is no other honest answer I can provide. 

I only chose the boot because I didnt want to be on crutches (most stupid decision ever) as I think with the cast I wouldve a) healed faster and b) healed better. 

Please let me know how you're doing... sorry for the late response!

• Posted

thanks for answer!

my bones are weak so i'm still in a long leg plaster cast, in 2 days i'll start to walk on it.

at beginning i was worried about having my entire leg casted but the ankle felt great. after 6 weeks i had the cast changed, they tried to put me in a fiber one but was just too painful so changed again for a new plaster up to the groin. was given ok to rest it down and also move my toes.

this orthopaedic device is heavy and bulky but it's much more effective than the fiber cast and the plastic boot. now i know that my previous issues were caused by a lack of immobilization.

only this week i feel like my ankle is healing.

in 2 weeks this cast will come off but i expect to have a short walking cast hopefully the fiber would be ok by then.

i already gave away the plastic boot.

• Posted

Hi Oscar,

Great to know that you feel as if your ankle is starting to heal! I know it can be incredibly slow... but patience is a serious requirement.

So I will wait for an update in 2weeks about whether your cast comes off/changes - hang in there.! 

• Posted

i update the situation

3 days ago the long leg plaster was finally removed, i really felt like my ankle didn't need it anymore.

infact when the cast came off my foot felt so much better than at every previous cast removal.

so now i know by experience that bad sharp pains when the cast comes off means that you need a new one.

we decided to play safe, and go ahead with the short walking cast instead of the plastic boot. i opted for the fiberglass as i don't need the extra support given by plaster.

it was really strange to be casted with only minor pains, usually during the process my leg is in agony.

i was given a cast shoe and sent home, luckly my knee hasn't suffered too bad the immobilization, but was quite impossible to walk, so today i went back and asked to have the rubber heel applied under the cast as in the old one.

it's easier to walk on but i must wear a running shoe on the other foot to match.

anyway with this short cast i can put way less weight than i did in the long one

• Posted

Hi rs, I found your post very usefull and at the same time a ray of hope that I might also recover from Grade 3-complete Torn of ATFL and partially Torn of CFL. Doctors have also advised me  for surgery but I refused and now will start going to Physio soon.

Just want hear from you more about hows is ankle, how you are feeling, Are you able to play sports now? Mine is pretty bad condition not able to walk too much or able to walk  but very lamely. 

Hope  to hear from you soon.

Thanks,

• Posted

Hey, I wanted to inform you about my condition since I too sprained my ankle pretty severely back in Jan. 

YOU ARE GOING TO BE FINE 

I wish I know that months later. I ‘ll probably be more optimistic about the whole  situation. 

I’m not 100% back to normal, i can jog,  do light dancing,  and walk for long  distance. Yes it will swallow  at the end of the day, but I’m still healing. I did PT for 2 months, 3 sessions every week. 

But you will walk again and live your love as you did before. I truly know how you are feeling, and if you needed anything please just send a message.

• Posted

I totally second this. Now, it has been 10months post sprain. I will admit it is not 100%. But my depression is 100% gone smile 

I can pretty much jog-ish but to be honest I havent started because Im scared... but I plan to within the next few weeks. I can walk fast! My life is pretty much back to normal with a few exceptions:

- no half marathons (or any morning runs)

- trainers are my go-to shoes for everyday wear (i used to only wear ballerinas)

- a bit slower in trekking than usual!

- NO high heels sad sad sad I wear small heeled boots to complete my look... I know it sounds silly but I'm a very high-heels girl so this took some emotional toll too

- being extra cautious when walking on unstable streets

Other than that, mostly everything is fine and ALL YOU NEED TO GIVE IT IS REST AND TIME AND PROPER REHAB TRAINING. DO NOT stop working out - just do the right kind. I would be able to play sport, yes, I highly recommend you wait at least a year before even considering surgery - I know this sounds crazy. A year? Who the hell is gonna wait that long? But after a few months which feel like forever and maybe a lot of tears, you become used to it and feel better. I promise. With surgery, healing is LONGER and UNCERTAIN. Dont make that decision too quickly - it is definitely for the worse if not truly necessary. 

Hope you take this seriously - please msg whenever and Ill be more responsive smile

• Posted

happy to read your progress

your recovery looks better than mine with ligaments reconstruction. and i was told that another surgery after my new injury isn't an option!

the surgeon eplained that using flat shoes damages the ankle, he also gave a small lift to insert in the shoes. but i found very unconfortable to use.

i used supportive shoes and braces but that way my ankle got weak. when i finally started training i was back to flat shoes and my muscles started to work again.

• Posted

Yes I had also put some insoles which to be honest helped me because apparently I have flat feet... I find that trainers are the most comfortable footwear. Anything flat I found difficult to walk in - only now do I wear flipflops every now and then and it doesnt really hurt unless I do long walks in flipflops!

Very important to exercise and strengthen your other foot and leg muscles so that it can help by compensating instead of putting extra strain at site of injury. 

• Posted

Hey would really like to chat about treatment options. I have grade 3 sprain 11 weeks ago and need to get back to work. Just need to be able to job and dk if surgery is a better option or not. Thanks
  • Posted

Hi RS. had a really similar experience to you had some serious ligament damage previously a tore my aftl again in December 5 months on and the tear is still huge (my physio had given me further stretches but the pain kept getting bigger). have no idea what to do now, do I cast it, what PT should i do. extremely worried I'll never run again. Have a doctor's appointment this Thursday but any advice would be hugely appreciated!

• Posted

it will get worse if you don't let it heal , i did the same as you tried to ignore it and it just would heal then re tear again. I did that for about 3 month, That can create a even weaker ligament structure in your ankle that can tear over and over. Now my ankle has permanent week ligaments, Tendonitis all the time, scar tissue in there. It something I now have to live with.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.