Grade 4 rapid onset osteoarthritis

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi im 36 year old male and have been diagnosed with grade 4 rapid onset osteoarthritis and tri compartmental arthritis in both legs also in my ankle and hands and shoulders can anyone please help with suggestions for Pain, im on the morphine patches but they dont seem to work and there at the top level i have been told i need a double knee replacement but IM TOO YOUNG to have at moment so basically being left to rot can anyone help

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Ian, I'm so sorry to hear how bad you are feeling.Are you in the UK?

i am and my gp refused to refer me to an orthopaedic surgeon as I'm too young...I'm 56 and feel about 90. i paid privately to see a consultant who has a clinic at my local NHS hospital who also has a private practice at a local private hospital. once I had seen him privately he put me straight onto his NHS list. He said age was not a factor , pain and quality of life is. From what you say your quality of life sounds miserable and surely it is important that you be able to live your life NOW not wait until you're at least 70.

I wish you well and hope that you can get the help you need. Take care, Deb

• Posted

traditionally replacement joints were delayed because firstly they had a relatively limited mechanical lifespan and secondly there would only be a limited number of times the joint could be surgically replaced.  However someone on another thread said that modern technology with artificial joints has come on a long way and the longevity of the replacement joint is much much better now.  To be honest, if youre young and your quality of life is so badly affected, you need the relief now, not worrying about whether you run out of options at say age 75 or 80 surely?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.