Gradual increase citalopram

Posted , 2 users are following.

hi, i started taking citalopram around 5 weeks ago. i started on 10mg alternate days, and increased to 10mg every day. awful side effects. i then increased to 10mg /20mg alternate days but still had a lingering feeling if dread. i tried to increase to 20mg every day but felt dreadful after one day. i alternated between 10mg ang 15mg for around 10 days and now im at the point where im taking 15mg each day. ive been taking 15mg eaxh day for 4 days now. ive had a few decent days (very few palpitations and feeling okish). i have been using diazepam 2mg and propanolol 10mg when needed (i didnt take much) but havent had any for a few days so thought i had really turned a corner!

last night i had very wierd dreams - like hallucinations but they felt so real! and this morning i feel very nervous (butterflies) and sense of dread returning. did i do the right thing increasing the dose or should i increase to 20mg?

got a dr appt next week so will ask then but just wanted to ask here of any personal experiences.

ive been off work and thought i was going to be ok to return but now im now so sure what to even say to them!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

sorry its so long!

• Posted

Bless your heart , hang in there. I think the vivid dreams can happen due to withdrawal .. I'm thinking if you went down in the dose some it could have caused this. it is listed as a symptom caused from with drawing from the medicine. Maybe the changes in dosing caused it . But it is always possible that this medicine could have that affect on you, regardless . Even if it is not listed as a side effect from it. I have had side effects not listed before from antidepressant, but not from this particular one.

. The normal dose to start this medicine is 20 mg once a day so you are starting off at a pretty low dosage. However medicine affects everyone different . What works for one may not work the same way for others. I'm sure you know this. I used to take this medicine and it did help me. But a family member of mine was prescribed it and it made them have anxious feelings like anxiety. And they had to discontinue it.

I have to ask you if you had the butterfly feeling in your stomach before starting this medicine. if not definitely tell your doctor. I also wondered if it worsened after you went up on the dose. I guess I'm wondering if the medicine is causing it. They say it takes weeks to feel the full benefit of some antidepressants. But if your having bothersome symptoms already I would consider telling my doctor you want to move to something else. Some times antidepressants can make old symptoms worse and cause new symptoms to occur. That doesn't mean it is and that if so that others will. You might consider giving them a call . I just want to say that you know how you are feeling the most and if you are having new or worsening symptoms always tell your doctor .

I have had good results from that medicine and felt positive effects early on so it didnt take weeks for my symptoms to improve but thats not always the case.

Hang in there you will find something thats right for you. And who knows maybe this is it. . Our bodies are delicate and my experience has been its hit or miss with these medicines and it can take trying different ones to find the type that works well for you. Between side effects, reactions and finding the one that seems to help we must keep the faith and be as positive as we can while we wait on the results. it's been my experience that most of these types of medicines helped me in some way .

P.S.

I know life pressures can be tough But try to not worry to much about what you will tell your job if you aren't feeling as well as you need to be when the time comes. Maybe just tell them that you are still under a doctor's care and are in the process of finding the proper medicine to treat your diagnosis or illness. And dont be ashamed of having this struggle. It can happen to anyone and if they know and aren't supportive that shows their lack of intelligence , not to mention care for others. After all we are human beings not robots . However some employers forget that . Best of luck to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.