Graduation - Farrow Wraps to Haddenham Compression stockings !!

Posted , 4 users are following.

I saw the Lymphoedema Therapist this morning and she is very happy with me as the Farrow Wraps have reduced the swelling in my lower legs so much that the Wraps are now too big. She has now put me into Comp stockings for lower limb - - 900 Pertex Light CL1 closed two size 13, tho she says I should go into size 12 shortly. She also wants me to go into a full leg stocking in due course. Feels great to be out of the wraps! But these do feel very light on my legs and am worried that the swelling will come back? She said to keep them on overnight for a while. Anyone experience of these stockings? Wish she had given me them in a sexy black and not this horrid flesh colour!

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I didnt like mine, found them unbareable, they hurt my feet and legs. I was told not to wear them at night but to put them on in the morning before getting out of bed.  I couldnt tolerate them for longer than an hour and they kept falling down 
  • Posted

You are so blessed! I have to wear Farrow wraps every day...definitely in my left leg and at least a stocking on my right leg. My fluid comes back as soon as I am vertical. I'm not understanding how yours stays gone? I guess we are all different but they said lymphodema is for life so I'm thinking ill just take it day by day. But you are truly blessed.
  • Posted

Ladyjack, unfortunately the swelling IS coming back once I am vertical - so I am putting a smaller sized wrap on my left leg and the stocking on the right. Today I have been out and about, so had the stockings on both legs to make it easier to walk around. Now they are both swollen so in the morning I  will be back to the wrap on the left - will maybe have to see and put one of the old  wraps on my right to get the swelling down if need be.
    • Posted

I'm so sorry Caroline. Hate to be a "Debbie Downer" but now the fluid collects at my knee...just above where the last Farrow strap would go. And I am truly just juggling this disease every day. I do also have a Farrow wrap for the knees and thigh and when it bulges out I put it on in addition to the lower leg wrap. And then I am reminded that I have to lay down so I can get my legs to drain properly. But who wants to lay down all the time??? It's got me kind of depressed lately.

• Posted

I can sympathise - I am having a hard time coming to terms that this IS a life-changing condition. I have lived with asthma as a condition since my teens, and am now facing the fact that I have to pay attention to this condition as well, and change my life style too. For example, I had to go out on Friday to do various chores in the local town, driving, in and out f the car, walking. The next day, had to rest, with legs up. So I have to learn to pace myself, and the discipline of the wash, cream, wrap, and so on - well it's boring!! My therapist really wants me in thigh high wraps - I am seeing her again at the end of July. Watch this space for expletives!!

• Posted

Lol....well, I can tell you that adding the thigh or knee wrap (bc it includes the thigh) is a lot more constricting and will have you walking like Frankenstein. But...it works pretty fast. It's just so disheartening when I keep filling up over and over. Getting ready to go somewhere used to take an hour but now I have to allow myself 2 to 3 hours. I have 2 sets of wraps for when I have to wash a set. But then they still wear out...I use a fabric shaver and a velcro cleaner to get the most life that I can out of them. I think I'm just tired of it all lately. I'm sorry.

• Posted

CAROLINE,  I HAVE LYMPOEDEMA IN BOTH LEGS AND FEET, (I CALL THEM ELEPHANT FEET). CAN YOU PLEASE  EXPLAIN TO ME WHAT ARE "FARROW

WRAPS"? IT SEEMS TO ME THAT YOUR LEGS AND FEET LOST WATER. I SEEM TO BE GAINING WEIGHT IN BOTH LEGS AND FEET. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. THANK YOU,  JOE RUSSO

• Posted

Caroline, how long have you worn the farrow wraps befor the swelling 

went down in your legs? l call my legs and feet elephant limbs. l have

been this way for over two years. Nothing seems to help me. Did you'have to get fitted for the wraps? Thanks, Joe R.

• Posted

Hi Joe,

You said you have lymphphedema so please understand that the fluid in your legs is lymphatic fluid from your lymphatic system in your body. It's thicker and contains things we usually dispose of from our bodies. I call it trash fluid. So when it pools in your legs it can get thicker and harder like gel and then you really need lymphatic massage to loosen it up. But tight compression is the only thing to push it out of your legs...sometimes they have to do a lymphatic wrap which is several layers of padding and wrap, almost like a semi cast and put your legs up and your huge legs will go down literally overnight. Usually a certified therapist only does this. Then after that hopefully you can manage it with Farrow Wraps. It is an every day thing....that's for sure. Hope this helps! Ladyjack51

• Posted

To start off, my legs and feet were very very big - I had to wear the Farrow Wraps 24/7 with nurses coming in twice a week to re-do them tighter. They were so big and the Farrow Wraps so big and unwieldy too that I couldn't do them myself. I slept in them too apart from the night before the nurse was due to come - so I took them off to wash and cream my legs and feet before going to bed the evening before. Fitting - the therapist measured my "elephant legs and feet" and ordered the size to fit - they are not made to measure as it comprises on lycra strips with velcro on them to fasten. They are supposed to be tightened daily but neither I nor my partner could manage it so it did take longer than it should for the legs to decrease in size enough for me to manage it myself [and a smaller size of wrap too]. The weight I lost through the stuff in my legs being squeezed out by the wraps was nearly a stone - no wonder I had problems walking. It took about 10 weeks but I think if the wraps were tightened daily then it would not be so long. I was then started on a smaller size of Farrow Wrap plus compression stockings [which I can now manage myself]. BUT certainly with my left and worst leg - I wear the wraps all day about three days per week [alternately] and I have recently been given a second set that I use on my right leg around once a week [more if the weather is hot - yes folks it DOES sometimes get hot in the UK but usually a humid hot so sweaty!!]. I am finding that I am now getting a bulge ABOVE the top of the wrap and stocking, it goes down overnight but I really don't think I could manage this myself if they give me thigh wraps - I have heard they can be v awkward to walk in. I am trying to walk more [in the wraps] but my knees let me know about it- ouch! Will try swimming again once the children are back in school next week so the pool is quiet and child-free - but bit shy of being seen but I havn't had any weepers since I went into the wraps. I DO RELAPSE - there are some days when I just can't bear the feeling of something on my skin, but then I have to catch up by wrapping agressively another day. :-)

• Posted

Bless your heart Caroline,

I can tell that you have really been through it just like I have. However I got to tell you and this is just a suggestion.... I kind of think you're doing it the hard way which will truly make you miserable and wear you down because just like you said it is too much for you to do by yourself. You said you had nurses coming in and that's good. In fact I would expect them to do this but maybe they're not certified. My suggestion is you might need to go to the lymphedema Department at your hosp. or go into the hospital overnight and let them do that heavy wrap on your leg it literally takes your leg down overnight. Sounds like you are a definite candidate but it takes a certified lymphphedema therapist. Do your hospitals have an apartment just for Lymphedema? They are very very limited over here in the United States as well but most of them do have at least something small. This process really can wear you out and to know that you have to do with the rest of your life is very daunting.

Ladyjack51

• Posted

Well,things are a bit different over her. The district nurses only came whilst I could not put the wraps on by myself - and it took the intervention of a friend who is a retired social worker to argue with our GP that putting the wraps on could be classed as "treatment"  - so reluctantly he ok'd the nurse/s coming but only until I could put the wraps on myself. FYI district nurses are fully qualified nurses. The lymphoedema service under our Local Health Authority will not put wraps on for you, nor will they admit you to hospital to do it - only if you are an emergency with cellulitis or something dire. The Lumphoedema therapist will advise, sort out wraps and stockings and get them supplied to you, they will only do MLD for people with it in their trunk, not extremities. You can get a social worker to get Home Carers in to put the wraps on but again you have to pay for it, and my meagre pension income is not low enough to get Benefit Paymets to pay for Carers.There are some private masseurs with suitable qualifications but it is v expensive. At the moment I can manage it myself - on Monday I went wrap/stocking free, yesterday I did a tight wrap on my left leg and stocking on the right, today stockings on each leg. Will assess them tomorrow morning to see how left leg is doing, maybe wrap again. Ho hum .........

• Posted

You are right about the leg having to have cellulitis before they will admit you...and I did have it at the time. But I'm glad I had it that time bc if I hadnt, I would've never found the therapist and lymphphedema depth that this hosp.had. My hosp where I had been going to for wound care told me there was nothing else they could do for me. I almost ended my life that night.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.