Grandmother has a-fib and leaky mitral valve, what to do?

Posted , 5 users are following.

My Grandmother has had a string of problems, currently manifested in her being in a-fib part of the time and also having a leaky mitral valve, and as a result is at 35% of her energy, is tired, and cant sleep. A short history is: 5yrs ago she had a back surgery that didn't go so well, after which she could walk but was more sedentary. Then 2yrs ago she had internal bleeding from a stomach ulcer, and has been anemic since then. For her anemia, she was given a blood transfusion, and then a week later had a clot in her leg, which was resolved with blood thinners. 2 months ago she had a temperature of 91F, and at the hospital they discovered that she was in and out of a-fib, and might have a leaky mitral valve. The doctors want to wait to get her out of a-fib before trying to fix the mitral valve. She was given Amioderone, but that did not fully solve the a-fib yet, so now theyre trying a new medicine thats stronger than Amioderone, perhaps its called Coreg. Anyway, do you think thats the right approach to be taking? Or perhaps the value is the root cause and that should be treated first. Any opinions?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Have they tried to cardioverted her? Maybe get a second opinion. what type of mitra vslve repair are they considering? There are several now.

Jim

• Posted

Not sure what to say, trying to fix afib with drugs is a difficult challenge, but it's beyond my knowledge to comment when there are also valve issues, or what the implications are if surgery is done while afib is a risk.

How old is grandmother, that can of course affect priorities, too.

Hoping for the best.

• Posted

Hi! I am in permanent afib & have been for several years. Fortunately I do not feel many palpitations so except for the challenges of feeling tired & not being able to climb stairs I am ok.

I have had a few surgeries plus other procedures since my diagnosis. Since I am on a blood thinner I need to go off it for 5 days before and after anything is done. Afib is usually not a major problem for surgery or other procedures.

The leaky valve obviously needs to be evaluated and a treatment plan developed. I am not sure what procedures might be used to determine the extent of the problem...

However, I can say I was told when having a heart catherization that being in a cardiac procedure attended by a cardiologist & other professionals is one of the safest places to be.

So I think she should be okay...especially since leaky valves seem to be a very common problem.

Best of luck!

Kathy

• Posted

Thank you all for your responses. She is 90, so they havent tried cardioversion yet. I am not sure what the valve repair procedures under consideration are, but its good to know that there may be several to choose from. She is being attended by cardiologists, so yes that is comforting. Thanks again for responding.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.