Grandson of 18 months severe constipation

Posted , 6 users are following.

my 18 month old grandson has chronic constipation but also an anal fistula that easily becomes infected. he currently hasn't pooed in 7 days, before this he had 10 days without. he screams with pain when straining. Dr just says increase laxatives and today give a pessary. this came out after 5 mins with screaming. my daughter is at her wits end seeing him in so much pain. The Drs don't take it seriously. she gives prune juice etc. I'm worried about permanent damage to his bowel. they won't issue on his fistula yet as it is so close he will be left incontinent.

Help please

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Edited

When mine were that age the doctor told me to add corn syrup in the baby bottle.

• Posted

Your daughter can ask the doctor about Miralax. It usually takes a couple of days to start working. It is a stool softener. I don't know what the dosage would be for a baby. But for many people it works.

• Posted

he's on a high laxative dose but I will check what it is and ask if they have used this.many thanks

• Posted

The baby may still need the laxative to jump start a movement. The stool softener with the laxative may be a combination that helps. Good luck

• Edited

It seems bizarre, even under current circumstances, that they would refuse to operate on an infant case of anal fistula (which can be life-threatening).

You should seek legal advice - the threat of a lawsuit may be just the medicine the NHS trust needs - and in the meantime seek private hospital care (crowdfunding may help).

PS: By the way, if the suppository came out in 5 minutes - and the baby didn't do any doodoos - she can't have inserted it properly (you have to push them until the rectal muscles suck them away).

• Posted

many thanks. the surgical team currently refuses unfortunately. I had thought about paying for a private consultation but thought probably be with the the consultant. I will tell her to try a suppository again, so difficult when he is

• Edited

I am not sure about private consultations at the moment as the private hospitals have been handed over to the NHS for the next three months for extra beds. I assume the doctors are all helping the NHS too, although most work for the NHS anyway. You may be lucky with paediatrics though.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.