Granulation after CWD mastoidectomy

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had a canal wall down mastoidectomy in 2013 to treat a rare (and very large/complicated) external ear canal cholesteatoma. Everything has gone well until a few months ago when we discovered granulation tissue that has formed in a part of the cavity, possibly caused or at least exacerbated by attempts to use a hearing get aid (I lost my hearing bones in the surgery). I think I didn't realize how irritated it was because I have little feeling in the cavity. The granulation tissue has proven very difficult to get rid of, and the doctor now says that it may indicate a need for revision surgery in that area. The dr. just applied a second, more thorough treatment of silver nitrate in an attempt to cauterize it and drops and powders have also been tried. Has anyone dealt with the problem of granulation tissue in your mastoid cavity? What worked for you? I really would like to avoid another surgery if at all possible. Thank you!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Has your Dr tried Mitomycin-C to treat this? The problem you describe is common in patients that had a CWD. It's not a nice thing at all.

I don't know if it's more effective or less, did your Dr mention this?

• Posted

No but I will ask him about it. Thanks! Have you had this problem?
  • Posted

Boric acid mixed in a solution of isoporic alcohol worked for me. One table spoon in one bottle of alcohol.  He even shoots the boric acid in my ear directly after cleanings. Also, make sure you use Flonase everyday! It's very important for people with cholesteatoma. Good luck!

• Posted

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll talk to the Dr open. Why flonase?

• Posted

Flonase opens up the nose. It's very important that your eustachian tube works well or most things are in vain. It also works against allergy. Flonase is for long term indeed.

• Posted

As Mipam said, your Eustachian tubes are defective, and need to be open and cleared all the time. Flonase is a miracle drug when treating this. One spray in each nostril every morning. It prevents the cholesteatoma from coming back, and keeps your tubes working in more of a normal fashion.   If you find that the Flonase is drying out your nose, you can also combine it with a saline spray such as Ocean or Ayre. I think with the drops of alcohol and boric acid, and the Flonase, this should clear up your problem. Be mindful that the Flonase should be used daily for the rest of your life! Don't be scared though, it's pretty much plant based. And you can buy the generic kind from Costco, 5 bottles for $20

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.