Granuloma annulare

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was recently diagnosed with GA which they said is most likely the result of having an auto immune disease...”Hashimoto’s”!  my dermatologist rx Elidel cream & advised to put it on & sit in the sun.  Has anyone else tried this? What was your result & how long does it take?  I just have the r ash n the shin of one leg.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hey!!

My dermatologist never even mentioned hashimotos but after my own research I’ve discovered there’s a connection- I display some symptoms of hypothyroidism e.g slow heart rate, no periods, cold all the time but not severe enough to constitute a thyroid problem.

I’m travelling in SEA at the moment- when I’m home I’m doing both a thyroid hormone test and a food allergy test. However for me this whole problem seems to stem from combined pill (rigivedon- don’t take it) or increased alcohol intake (perhaps sulphites) 

Let me know any updates xxxx

• Posted

Also sorry forgot to say- yes I’ve done light therapy and it helped only because my legs were tanned and so the marks appeared less intense. I also only suffer from them on my ankles and shins and one one my upper thigh 
  • Posted

Hi, Jeanette!  I'm 58, diagnosed about four years ago.  Follow your derm's advice.  It may work!  If it doesn't and the rash progresses, you can try other methods.  My legs, underarms, and torso/chest are affected.  I'm been on triple antibiotic therapy, Clobetasol cream, light booth 2-3 times weekly for six months, and now trying Plaquenil 200 mg bid and Clobetasol cream bid.  While the light booth wasn't really effective, natural sunlight usually helps, so I'm looking forward to summer!  Good luck on your journey, keep us posted:-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.