Granuloma Annulare for over 10 years...

Posted , 15 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed with Granuloma Annulare over 10 years ago (I am 28 now). I still remember the first time I noticed the first lesion on my inner right ankle...it was extremely inflammed, tripled in size within weeks, and that was the last summer that I wore shorts. 

I feel like this rare disorder is taking over my life. I have tried steroid creams, steroid injections into the lesions, liquid nitrogen, and have even had a CO2 laser treatment on the lesions. The injections, liquid nitrogen and laser treatment seemed to help (after an initial blue brusing and concave appearance, which lasted for a month--at least--during the healing process), but the lesions always eventually came back. 

I recently have noticed a new lesion on my right elbow. It too has tripled in size within the past month, and I am starting to feel depressed. I have already given up shorts, skirts and dresses...I don't want to give up short sleeve shirts too. 

Can anyone give me advice on treatments they have tried, or their experiences? I have also had blood tests to rule-out diabetes and hyperlipidemia. I am 5'6", 130 lbs, never drink soda and stick to a pretty healthy, red meat-free diet (my downfall is occasional pizza). I try to exercise at least 3/week. 

Thank you in advance,

Feeling hopeless.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi everyone

I don't know if this will help anyone here with GA. 

I am a 57 year old female and had granuloma all my life since I was 4 years old. Sometimes it was only in a few places but it was always showing somewhere on my body. I just tried to live with it. Then when I got into the menopause it got really bad all over my legs, my arms, my stomach and my back. I read somewhere that a gluten free diet was a cure for many so I decided to try it as I had tried absolutely everything else. 

I have to say I was very strict for the first six months and it was very difficult going without so many things that I liked to eat. But I persevered. After six months I still had it but it had faded in some areas so I decided to continue. After 9 months more had faded and I was getting excited that this just might actually work. After a year it had just about gone although not quite! I was amazed! I continued and after about 16 months I had barely a trace left. Now I have been gluten free for over 18 months and I just don't have granuloma anymore! I even sometimes allow myself tiny amounts of gluten...but not very often as I really fear it coming back. Today I can wear shorts and anything I like...but I do still tend to keep myself out of the sun. Some people say the sun helps but I personally allow only small amounts of sun at a time and never burn. 

One other thing....since becoming gluten free I feel healthier and less tired smile

So, if anyone is at the end of the trying everything....then try the (strictly no wheat) gluten free diet. I'm not saying it is an easy diet and takes a bit of getting used to but what have you got to lose? I'm glad I did smile

• Posted

Wow, that's great to hear! I am happy you found what helps you! I will continue to do a gluten-free diet, and hopefully I will have similar results. Thank you!

• Posted

I have had GA for 10-11 years also (31). I have been gluten free for 3-4yrs. It also started on my right ankle, it started about the size of a quarter, but in a moon crescent shape (from what I can remember). It has grown a decent amount in the past decade, about the width and length of two fingers put together and from tip to the base before my palm starts. Today I notices two very faint splotches above it... I think it's spreading. I did also just found out in May that I have hashimotos disease (body attacks the thyroid and makes you hypothyroid) I have been reading like a mad woman! Look into the AIP diet, I just started it.... It's VERY strict initially but it's not forever, it's just basically an elimination to reintroduction diet so you can discover what triggers your immune system. You and I both obviously have some other "toxin" besides wheat that's triggering the attack. By your symptoms it sounded like you maybe hypothyroid/hashimotos also. Once you have one autoimmune disease you're more prone to get getting more, which is why the diet is not a cure but it's a possibility of improvement and remission! Best of luck, would love to hear updates!

• Posted

I started with Granuloma Annular about 2 years ago and it has gotten worse and worse. It is all over my forearms and legs. I have one now on the top of my right hand which I cannot hide. I am also quite depressed but nothing seems to clear it up. If anything works for me i will let you know.
  • Posted

Has your doctor looked into localized scleroderma? I only ask because I am currently having tests done for scleroderma and lupus because of my rash combined with raynauds . Hope all is well

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.