Granuloma Annulare is finally gone and I want to share what worked for me!

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm a 67 yr. old female who has had varying degrees of Granuloma Annulare all of my adult life. I also had Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and a complete Thyroidectomy in my 20s. I take Levothyroxine daily and I do believe there could be some relationship between Thyroid issues and Granuloma Annulare. I have been on this forum many times just as frustrated as many of you have been and are about your Granuloma Annulare. I have had it on my feet (thinking it was Athlete's foot) even as a teenager and eventually it left my feet and started on my elbows. The thickening bumps on my elbows eventually spread to the inside of my arms and especially my forearms. It was itchy and unsightly, red and sometimes swollen. It even started on my left middle finger, and still appears there under the skin, I assume that my wedding ring aggravates it. Cortisone cream has been my friend. It kept the redness to a minimum and was soothing, but didn't help it go away. I want to share with you what finally worked for me:a 5 mg dose of Prednisone for 10 days, then tapering off to none over a week. The redness subsided and the reaction to the Prednisone seemed to soothe it all together, even though the ridges were still visable slightly. Over a month, the skin returned to a normal color and the ridges left. It wasn't completely gone, so the same dose was repeated a second time and it started to go away completely. I have not been on Prednisone since. I have been free of the itching and unsightly ridges and rash for over a year now! The Prednisone stopped the autoimmune cycle within my body and I am no longer suffering from full blown, aggravating Granuloma Annulare! I can tell that there is still that tendancy underlying in my skin, because I get a little itchy inside my elbows at times and I wonder when or if it will come back. But when it does, I know what to do to stop it! I've never been so grateful in my life for something that worked for me. I know that everyone's body is different and this might not be the answer for you, but it was for me. I'm hoping this information helps someone as desperate as I was. Tell your Doctor and ask him/her if it could be the answer for you. My 50 + years was too long to suffer with Granuloma Annulare; I hope this helps somebody.

3 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Edited

Debbie, your post is interesting. some time back i posted my events of an episode last year that has seemed to make a difference in my GA. it was very similar to yours.

i am 72 years old and have had GA since in my 50's. I have tried creams, a mixture of antibiotics and was followed by a DERMATOLOGIST. The antibiotics seemed to work until i stopped them after a year and it came back two-fold.

Last year i had two events (back to back) that required the prednisone treatment. I noticed that the rings began to diminish. In 4-5 months they were gone. They have remained gone

until about a month ago. I have chosen to go back on the prednisone with the ok of my doctor

in the hopes of 2 treatments as before buying me relief for nearly a year. It is a small dose which will not be detrimental to my body in limited g doses. My only concern is that my body will become acclimated to it and it will stop working, as with the antibiotics.

I have Thyroid issues and always allergic reactions to lots of things since very young. I will keep you all posted but honestly don't expect the same reaction. i so enjoyed wearing shorts last summer with the confidence that the back of my legs were clear and lifted my arms in sleeveless shirts my arms showed no ugly rings. it made such a difference in my life that as much as i hate taking prenidsone i will give this a try again.

❤ CHERYL

• Posted

THANKS for commenting Cheryl. I'm almost holding my breath, in fear of my GA coming back! PLEASE let me know if the Prednisone works this time for you? I agree that the small dose isn't harmful for the short duration on it. And I don't think I will become resistant to its benefits at that low dose. I know that GA cycles too, since I've had periods of firey red ridges that itch and periods of much less rritation. Prednisone seemed to stop the cycles and tell my body to calm down! Honestly, I still itch a little now and then, but nothing is that visable and nothing to complain about! I hope for the best for you this time, too!

• Edited

Cheryl, I neglected to add that when I took Prednisone the first time with flaming, itchy GA, I took 5 mg for 10 days and tapered off and then when GA didn't go away completely, I repeated the Prednisone just 5 mg for 5 days and stopped without tapering off and I was just fine. That's when it went away completely. As I mentioned, I can tell it's underlying, but it is not visable. This low dose shouldn't cause any resistance to the drug. This all came about quite by accident! I had a pinched nerve in my back (likely due to carrying around my young granddaughter) that was causing me pain when I walked, so I took the Prednisone to help with that inflammation and that's when I noticed the GA leaving! I owe it all to my granddaughter! Both the nerve pain and GA benefited immensely!

Best to you, Debbie

• Posted

I know how you feel and I will miss my shorts and short sleeves tops too. Did you have this on your face?

• Posted

Debbie,

In August of 2018, after my husbands battle with throat cancer, I just started getting red circles on the back of my knees, now its all over my feet,my hands,arms,legs,groin, and now spreading up my stomach. Not on my face yet, did you get it on your face? Thank you about recommending 5mg Prednisone. I will discuss with my Dermatologist. So far, the ointment has not worked at all. I am in such distress over this condition. So good to talk to someone that has had it. Thank you!

• Posted

Hi Patti, SORRY to hear about your GA! I have never had it on my face. I'm careful to be gentle with my face because I've had GA show up where there's skin irritation ( my ring finger for instance). I've quit wearing rings!

I sure hope you're able to try some Prednisone. I've been clear for a couple years now. It is still sometimes itchy and is underlying on areas where I had it for so long. AND sweat or long exposure to sun will make it erupt a little, but nothing like I had for so many years! I seem to have sun sensitivity now. GOOD LUCK to you! Debbie

• Posted

Deb

Thanks for giving me hope! THE CREAMS AND OINTMENTS ARE NOT HELPING ! I will ask my Derm if I can have prednisone.

• Posted

well just finished my final dose of prednisone 10 mg. this drug , as mentioned before was given the year before for 2 allergic reactions which occurred back to back. it was the answer to my GA disappearing for just short of a year. i made the decision once i saw the circles returning to repeat the two doses again and i just finished. i will let you know if i can at least control it for hopefully the same amount of time as before. i can deal with that. someone asked if i got it on my face, luckily no. it does not typically appear on the face.

just visited a new dermatologist who wants to see me after the prednisone treatment is done. he is talking about PLACQUINEL. i looked it up and it is very very expensive. i really dont think i am going to do it. i take so many medications, one (eloquist) is a fortune. i will see.

• Posted

C heryl, I hope you can keep it under control. Mine is sensitive to heat, so I'm hoping it won't come back this summer. I'm aware that it's underlying due to the slight itchiness and prickliness I always have. I can't complain yet though! GLAD TO HAVE A REPRIEVE! Best to you! Debbie

• Posted

Cheryl,

i know the feeling about taking drugs!!Ugh!

I'm i tired of it, I was wondering how ikd are you? I am 59...my husband got cancer and is cured now ! after that stress is when I started getting this GA!

I wish there was a cure for this !!!

• Posted

i am 73 this year. i have had GA which started in my 50s . have always had lots of skin issues and super reaction to bee stings and poison ivy/oak/shumack. i welt up from a hot shower so the heat does affect my skin . i do think that stress can trigger GA. I have started to use salt scrubs with oils to hopefully condition (topically) my skin. That is my idea which may or may not make a difference❤

• Posted

cheryl,

I have tried saltwater baths , unfortunately it has not helped. I hope the salt scrubs help you.

I think this GA is immune system not functioning correctly. Within our bodies, it seems prednisone has helped some but a side effect from that is raising sugar and those of us with diabetes may not have that option.

I have to see my dermatologist soon to discuss this matter.

I live in Florida and really cant escape the heat.

I still work and this is really upsetting to explain this condition over and over.

So nice to talk to others that have the same.

Best regards,

Patti

• Posted

i totally understand how this breakout makes you feel . In public. someone once asked me if i had burnt my hand. the back of my hand started with a tiny circle several joined in and they all turned into a gigantic circle that covered the whole back of my hand. it was very visable and purple/red in color. Of course it looked like a burn. i agree it is autoammune but the topical salt baths help condition my skin which has suffered immensley from this condition as it has something to do with the depleting colegan which is happening at 73 anyway.

Glad we all can share our trials and tribulations in dealing with this . i guess I am vain because I am 73 in good shape and been told I look much younger than my age and have to deal with this which makes me frustrated. They are treating this condition with PLAQUINEL this is very expensive. i will probably not go this route unless my GA really comes back strong. I will keep posting to weigh in on the prednisone treatment reaction. This was a 10mg decreasing dose. i was unaware it raised your sugar levels. I know it raised my metabolism. Hope the sun in FLA doesnt have a adverse affect on your GA. Heat makes mine itch

cheryl

• Posted

Debbie I'm so glad I read your post. I've had GA for years and tried all creams and PUVA treatment to no avail. I've finally seen my dermatologist after a three months wait and told him about your experience with Prednisolone and he agreed to prescribe them for me. I start taking them in two days time and I am keeping my fingers crossed for the same outcome as you. Thank you.

• Posted

Wendy, I hooe the orednisone treatment works for you! Keep posting; I woukd love to know. I believe it is an autoimmune disease that I have, related to having Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. The two seem to go together. I'm still able to kerp it under control with Prednisone,. Hooe it helps you.

Debbie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.