Granuloma Annulare -- related to hormones and stress??

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have suffered from widespread GA since I was 12. The same year I started my period. The only times in my life it has resolved nearly completely, has been during pregnancy. I have found that is gets really bad if I am under extreme stress.... deployments, nephew diagnosed with cancer... nodules popped up all over. Started on my legs at 12.... moved to my trunk (still sparsely on legs) in my 20s and now in my 30s is covered the inside of my right arm. It's like is in moving from top to bottom. BIZARRE. The ONLY thing I have found to treat the small nodules that pop up, is get steroid shots from my dermatologist. I will find out the exact name... that works great.

I think that having this disease is accepting it will never go away but learning to live with it and try to control the flair ups.

Anyone else notice GA came into their lives during a hormone shift? I am going to get blood work done this year to test for thyroid issues, as I have read that could be linked. Looking forward to trying CBD oil once I am done breast feeding as well. Just started taking probiotics and milk thistle... will report if there is any improvement whatsoever in the coming months.

It's nice to know there are other GA sufferers out there looking for a cure.... I always felt so alone with this awful disease.

Morgan

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi there!

Mt GA always gets worse with stress as well. it came up after I got a TB test i think the test pushed my immune system over the edge.

I also do the cortisone shots when i get a spot in a spot on my arms and hands (someplace that shows) ans that spot will go away.

Not pretty but there are so many more autoimmune diseases that are much worse and deadly i have gotten used to GA and consider myself lucky all things considered.

Not sure if science will ever figure out how to stop our bodies from attacking themselves.

Take care 😃

• Posted

Hi Morgan.

This is an interesting post. I've never considered there could be a hormonal component! I have GA all over my body, and it hasn't subsided for years now BUT I've also been peri-menopausal for a few years too! I'm going to do some googling on this !! I'll post if i find anything.

Thanks for the idea!

Tracy

• Posted

Hi Morgan.

This is an interesting post. I've never considered there could be a hormonal component! I have GA all over my body, and it hasn't subsided for years now BUT I've also been peri-menopausal for a few years too! I'm going to do some googling on this !! I'll post if i find anything.

Thanks for the idea!

Tracy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.