Granuloma Annulare Starting to hurt

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am a 28 year old healthy woman who has recently been diagnosed with Granuloma Annulare. The dermatologist did a biopsy in July and told me it was inflammation and was most likely GA. He explained it was a benign skin condition that would go away with time. He prescribed me Clobetasol cream to use twice daily for 2 weeks then as needed. I used the clobetasol as recommended and after going for a follow-up appointment he suggested to keep using the cream  to minimize the affected area's scarring. It's been about 4 months now, and the spots have not gotten smaller, but bigger and starting to spread linearly instead of just laterally.   I have about 10 spots now, but only had 5 in July. At first they didn't hurt, just looked like burns on my leg. And of course with the summer, everyone asked whats happened, which made me go to the dermatologist in the first place.

Since about mid-August, these little buggers have begun giving me feelings that I associate as shin splints during the night and sometimes during the day. Has any one else had this kind of nerve or muscle pain? 

Also, my dermatologist will not do any other therapy other than the Clobetasol Cream and I am worried that these spots are going to keep growing until they cover my entire shin.

Any suggestions on at home remedies or other  therapies that dermatologists recommend to do if Steroid cream doesn't work? 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I'm sorry you have GA  too. I would find a new doctor. You ABSOLUTELY SHOULD NOT have been using the Clobesterol this whole time. It's 2 weeks on and then 2 weeks off alternating. It will thin out your skin. There are lots of other treatments to try. Nothing works on the on everyone GA. It's a trial and error for everyone. Staying on a treatment for 3 months before you decide it's not working is what my derm says. Plaquenil, Dapsone, light treatments (not tanning beds), ROM treatment, vitamins are just a few treatments that have worked with others. Good luck. There is a FB site Granuloma Annulare Support that you hear of lots of different treatments that have worked successfully. You will learn a lot. Best of luck.

• Posted

Thanks for the feedback! I've scheduled a second opinion for early December to see if he recommends any other treatments. 

• Posted

Hi Dee, I am a seventy year old who has had this skin eruption since in my fifties.  It has gotten worse this past year.  There have been links to thyroid disorders, which I have, also stress, and a multitude of things which may be the cause or may exacerbate  it.  I have used the creams, taken the antibiotics (for at least 3 years) and most of the things prescribed but to no avail.

?This summer it became more dense and spread out especially behind my legs.  The itch was insatiable which scared me.  It really never itched unless you scratched it but this itch came from inside out.  It seemed to me that it may have become systemic and I feared it would spread to my face.  It is all over my midriff behind my legs at my ankles and feet and all over my thighs.  It became a deep red and not the usual circles that enlarge but a mesh of red in a 6' round area behind my knees.  I stopped going to my dermatologist and stopped the antibiotics. For some reason the breakout behind my knees is not visible at this time.  I don't know why.  The entire eruption seems to be quieted and not itchy.  Behind my knees is just a wrinkled area of skin because the GA absorbed all the collagen and it definitely looks different than the skin around it.

?I have always had skin problems from a 13 year old with Pitoria Rosea  and healing atrophy on surgical scars which I have had many.  There are some valid suggestions as to the origin of this.  Many who subscribe to this forum have thyroid issues, which I do.  I would not spend a lot of money on drugs, shots of cortisone creams as these really do not take this away.  If you think the creams make it less itchy than make a judgement call.  I have no  reason as to why mine has subsided and was angry when in June the itch became so insatiable.  Stopping the antibiotics was just in anger and don't think it had anything to do with the change in GA's presentation.

?Know that the doctors do not know what this is caused by so any of the suggestions are strictly things to try.  The history behind the antibiotics is that they use that for leprosy patients because there are some similarities in the presentation of GA, but they are of course way different in other ways.   It is just something to try.  The shots and creams thin the skin.  I recently heard something about vitamin B may be helpful.

?Our communication is the only research I know of being done on this skin disorder.

?Good luck and keep informed, Cheryl

• Posted

Hi dee

I have had these 'little buggers' for just over five years and like yourself have watched them grow and grow. What started out as one patch quickly grew to about six (one patch is the size of my palm!) Not wanting to use pharmaceuticals I have given all sorts of natural remedies a go......  I tried apple cider vinegar twice a day for two months..... nothing. I tried lavender oil, coconut oil, colloidal silver, vitamin A and the list goes on....... In all of the research I have done I seem to always come back to the immune system. So now I have started on a journey of cleansing the body and boosting the immune system. I think every body is different and we all have a variety of mineral deficiencies, so I would suggest finding out what your body is lacking first.... (a good natropath can help with that). But in reference to your question about the pain..... no I have never experienced any pain with mine so I think if it were me I would get a second opinion to confirm the diagnosis.... hope this helps. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.