Graves

Posted , 4 users are following.

I went to my eye doctor for my eyeball is big and he gave me selenium 100mg . Would that help with my eye swoolen or i am not sure. Can anybody explain please 

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Susan, yes selenium will help, or the more natural way with Brazil nuts. Obviously don't know how long you've had graves but you might want to get an appointment with your endocrinologist and double check you haven't got eye thyroid disease, as it can spread to the eyes. But i took selenium don't really know how much help it was? But any help is better i suppose. Good luck

Matt

• Posted

I have Grave's and Hyperthyroid from what I gathered from my endo is that.  My thyroid can't control how much thyroid hormorne to produce.  It's actually producing a lot since since Im hyper.  It is an autoimmune disease.  "In Graves’ disease, your immune system creates antibodies that cause the thyroid to grow and make more thyroid hormone than your body needs. These antibodies are called thyroid-stimulating immunoglobulins (TSIs). The TSIs bind to thyroid cell receptors, which are normally “docking stations” for thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH—the hormone responsible for telling the thyroid to produce hormones). The TSIs then trick the thyroid into growing and producing too much thyroid hormone, leading to hyperthyroidism." "Then In more severe cases, one or both eyes may protrude from the eye sockets (also called the orbits). Graves’ disease causes an inflammatory response in the eye muscles; the muscles and tissues swell. Because of the orbits—the bony parts of your face that help hold your eyes in place—the swollen muscles and tissues are pushed outward.  That’s because if enough swelling occurs, then the tissue has no place to go but outward, which causes protruding eyes and limited eye movement. The medical term for this is exophthalmos, and it can make you appear as though you are staring."  My grave's disease Dr told me to get my thyroid in control first because if it's not under control the more it will bulge.  I started at 60mg tapazole per day which is very high, don't start at high dose when you see endo, some get hives and itchyness from it if over dosage.  Right now,As far as for my GRaves I'm taking brazil nuts 1 or 2 per day then for my thyroid 5mg every other day.  
    • Posted

Thank you for all the information. My doctor for medicine only gave me selenium 100mg .but he never said nothing about prescriptions medicine. What the Brazilian nut do to graves?
    • Posted

is your doctor an endocrinologist? Brazil nuts are rich in Selenium.  When I took that 100mg of Selenium, my bloodwork kept going hypo so fast so I just tether it with brazil nut ussually 1 or 2 nuts per day.... I googled it "Selenium is a mineral that is needed in small amounts by the body to help regulate the thyroid hormones and support a healthy immune system." So first you need to get check out  by endo because Grave's and Thyroid problem are tied together.  
    • Posted

My doctor is a neurologi and orthomologist . But it seems my eye is out more he said my eye wont go back to its place but i have to take selinum 100 mg twice a day and then go back to see him in 8 weeks ,but am really worry about my eye c. Does anybody has this problem with their eye? And would go back to its place? What other medice i can take ?
    • Posted

My eyes are way out too.  It won't go back to normal, the key is to get in control so it wont potrude as much.  If your eye is really that  bad there is a reconstructive surgery involve my opthalmogist specializes "Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery".  She said if you can't close your eyelid then I may need surgery.  But since my thyroid is under control, my Graves followed and under control also.  My advice is to go get a blood test done to check your TSH.
    • Posted

Brazil nuts are the richest dietary source of selenium - just 1 or 2 a day will be sufficient. 

Selenium is a catalyst to enable T4 to be converted to T3.

Now this is where I cease to understand why it should help with hyperthyroidism. I would have thought you would want to slow down the production of T3 if you are hyper since T3 increases your energy level. Anyone understand why selenium helps hyperthyroidism?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.