Graves and Chickenpox

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello, I'm hoping someone can help.

I have Graves and had RAI five years ago.     I've promised to look after out grandchildren on Saturday, but our six year old granddaughter has chickenpox.     Her three year old brother is fine at the moment, but I suspect it won't be long before he catches it.

I haven't had chickenpox.  If I have had it it was so mild I didn't know about it.     Our son had it really bad about thirty years ago and I didn't catch it from him.

So the question is would it be wiser to stay away from them?

Thanks.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Why not get chicken pox vaccine, since as you get older your immune gets worst
  • Posted

I'm 34 and 3 years ago I got chicken pox from my nephew, (I have never had them) it started off as shingles then I got the pox.

I was off all meds at the time so my bloods where normal ( do you call it remission)

Let us know what you decide to do smile

• Posted

Hi Emily,

Thanks for your reply.    I decided it would be wise to stay away from them, but I've been feeling guilty as I feel like I've let down our son and daughter in law.

I feel better after reading your reply, and I think I've done the right thing.   My bloods were normal the last time they were checked, and I'm only on thyroxine.    Better safe than sorry.

Thanks again.biggrin

• Posted

I think that is wise and don't feel guilty. These things happen and your health is very important smile
  • Posted

Hello Marigold64:

My name is Shelly and I am an RN -nurse in the USA.  I have Hashimoto's since 1987.

In one big word  YES stay away from them.  Here is why!

We are autoimmune and if you never had the chicken pox  (Varcella) it can be extremely dangerous to an adult.  I know a lady who was 70 and she died after exposure to a child with chicken pox she ran high fevers and had slipped into a coma. 

It can cause nerve pain problems like Herpes Zoster (Shingles).  Also it can cause lung problems like pneumonia in adults and high fevers you do not need that.

Immunizations require 2 weeks to work !  They take time to build antibodies to protect you & build an immunity to work. 

This is about Your health and you love the grand kids but sadly you must pass this weekend.  if their sores are healed up you can see them but not when they have active blisters or pox that are fluid filled you can't be near them!

Regards,

Shelly

• Posted

Hi Shelly,

Thanks for your reply.   As you said my health is important too.

Our son has given me a good talking to and told me not to be silly, and that he doesn't want me to risk catching shingles or chicken pox.   So I'll do as I'm told for once.smile

Thanks again.

Marigold

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.