Graves' disease and High Blood Pressure

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi

Does anyone have very high bp which only began once they had Graves.  I am euthyroid and apparently the bp 225/125 and without bp medication 170/100 is not related to my thyroid condition but stress from work and possibly family related condition which coincidently has come on whilst being treated for Graves. My consultant has recommended surgery as he believes radiodine will cause me problems with anxiety and side effects.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

many thanks 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

My current readings are tsh 0.09, ft4 23.4, ft3 6.4
  • Posted

I had high blood pressure before my Graves.  It has mostly been well controlled on meds (Avapro, 300 mg and Moduret 25 mg daily).  I was given Propranolol at the time I was being investigated for Graves to stop my rapid heartbeat and it also lowers my BP.  I did not take Propranolol after I started on Graves treatment with Methimazole.  You need to do your research before making such a serious decision as surgery.  For myself, I did not want surgery or radiation and have managed to control my Graves with Methimazole and the addition of L-Carnitine and Acetyl-L-Carnitine to my treatment regimen.  I have posted on this board many times before about my use of this and the fact that your doctor will not know about it or recommend it.  So do your own research and make an informed decision.  For me, I feel surgery and Rai are irreversible decisions so prefer the drug treatment.  Your high BP and your Graves are two separate issues and require different treatments.

• Posted

Thanks Linda.  I think it is very strange how my bp has suddenly risen.  A really don't want either definitive treatment and will definitely look at your posts and try L -Carnitine.  I have been so poorly I just have been worried about over loading with everything.  
  • Posted

Your TSH appears very low suggesting you are not euthyroid.  My consultant told me that T3/4 are unreliable post Graves disease and that my condition should only be controlled by reference to TSH.  Does your consultant know this?

I suspect your anxiety is a side effect of the excess in your body (as it was for me pre-radioiodine).  I131 worked for me and replacement is now working well.  BP has been high when on an incorrect replacement dose either side of euthyroid for me.

• Posted

Thanks very much for your post.  My consultant has told me not to have radio iodine as it will be too stressful for me as levels get under control and also if it doesn't work surgery will be difficult as tissue sticks to the gland. He thinks surgery is the cleaner and simpler option - I don't want surgery and would rather come off tablets and see if it returns, consultant said he believes it will come back so best to get rid now after a year of treatment.  What is I131? Thanks 

• Posted

Hello Emmaj43  I was diagnosed with Graves disease in my late forties and had radio active iodine treatment. A few months after treatment I went from 5 stone back to 8 stone and was feeling great. Retired to the seaside signed on with new doctor who immediately put me on blood pressure pills said my BP was too high, I suffer with white coat syndrome after so many hospital visits. The blood pressure pills raised my blood pressure to dangerous levels so was then put on duretics which instead of losing fluid I retained it my weight shot up to 12 stone and caused asthma symtoms also resulting in eye pressure which since coming off indapine my eyes have returned to normal. Last year my doctor did a 24 hour BP check which proved I did not need BP medication I was taken slowly off lercanidpine and just took Ramipril which was slowly being reduced. average BP 138/85 heart rate 88.  Doctor retired new Doctor prescribed  Furosemide  BP dropped to low couldnt stand up without passing out BP118/87 heart rate 80. this was changed to Bendroflumethiazide BP 118/93 Heart rate 80 urine retension leg cramps perfuse sweating  this was changed to  20mg Lercanidipine BP 204/109 heart rate 72 Cadiac arithmia the only thing this medication seems to have done is lower my heart rate needless to say I cut them in half  BP now 134/96 heart rate 96. You must take advise from your doctor but dont be afraid to ask what you might think as silly questions, we havent been to medical school for seven years.   As we are not all the same, different people react in different ways to medication. I have not been able to lose any of the weight which I think is a major factor to high BP. The only problem I had with the radiation treatment was not seeing anyone for three weeks my home was divided me upstairs and my husband and pets downstairs. my daughter had just had a baby, it was the longest three weeks ever. The operation is usually advised if you intend to have children after treatment. I still have to take thyroxine every day but so did my mother who had the surgery. I am now nearly seventy and like you I cannot understand why the higher the BP medication the higher my BP goes. I often wonder wether the Doctors have shares in the drug industries. to answer your question I am not sure if the BP problem is Graves related or down to BP medication. I think it is the later as before BP medication my BP was stable, and quite a few peoples BP shoots up when visiting the surgery. Because lets face it we dont wont to be there.  I have a BP machine and take my BP twice a day and the average for this week is 148/91 Heart rate 78      regards Jacky     
    • Posted

I began to have increased BP in my mid-forties, long before I had Graves disease.  My doc at that time thought it was "white coat syndrome" and did not want to prescribe anything.  It turned out that by monitoring my blood pressure frequently, I actually had a BP problem.  I started with a mild diuretic, (Hydrodiuril) and then had to add Avapro.  I find my BP is higher in Winter than summer.  I am well controlled on this and tolerate it well.  High BP is in my family so a part of it is I think Genetic.  Even my now 49 year old sister, who eats a very healthy diet and is active, had signs of increased BP though currently does not take meds.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.