Graves' disease and itching

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi, I take carbimazole for my hyperthyroid.

i itch madly, wriggling as if I've fleas, and spots down my torso.

its awful

any ideas or advice please? X

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I completely understand the itchy skin. I itch all over my body. I don't know if the meds cause it or just the dry skin that hyperthyroidism brings along with it. In the summer it gets horrible but I take oatmeal baths and try to keep my skin soft as possible which does help. I carry aound a big metal spoon too lol. Works wonders on the back smile
  • Posted

I usually hear this from people who are on high dosages.  What dose are you on?  Do you have Graves Disease or Hashimoto's or both?  Do you know your last lab results for TSH, Free T3 and Free T4?
  • Posted

Hi again Jan,

as stated in our previous discussions, I itched from head to toe when I first started taking Carbimazole, it was terrible BUT I didn't get any rashes or spots etc just excessive itching even through the night in bed.  It eventually wore off but some people are allergic to Carbimazole and after going to see their GP regarding the itching, they were prescribed the alternative to Carbimazole which I think has the shortened name of PTU, I think Linda187 will know the name.  My dose of Carbimazole was and still is 40 mgs which I believe is classed as a high dose.  Obviously your itching problem is very bad, so I would go and see my GP (or ring them) and explain that you can't cope with the itching and ask them about the alternative medication.

Christine

• Posted

Hi...I'm ok in the day but, man, ain the evening I'm scratching...like I've fleas!!! 

I get on well generally with the carbimazole but I am speaking to my GP today.....

thanks x

• Posted

Ok, trying to decipher garbled blood test printouts....

T3 started at 30.8 ,

T4 was 41 in January, settling a little at 19

my TSH is at 0.02

these any help?

states my thyroid antibodies are extremely high at 971 ku / L 

lim trying to settle my levels, I still feel awful but am reassured by the support I've received  here....others, like GPs etc aren't so supportive, it's like

ok, you've got a problem, here's some tablets, go away and deal with it, we don't know any more than that!!!!!

im hoping to feel better, eventually ! Xx

• Posted

I have been on carbiazole for 3 months now .

At first got really itchy.. for me it went away .

Its really hard not to itch .

My medication got dropped down within first month from 30mg to 20mg . So must be doing its job.

• Posted

Im actually feeling really lethargic and tired lately and vertigo. Starting to think im going under active . : ( last bloods my levels were pretty much on par as almost normal

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.