Graves disease and stomach gastritis

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone I have graves disease and I'm in remission since I got graves disease I started having stomach issue like burping a lot and left side upper and back middle pain my GP sent me for endoscopy and I been diagnosed with stomach gastritis I'm taking omeperezole for it .its helping but if I stop taking it pain comes back please if anyone had any suggestion bcs I don't want to take PPi s for long term bcs of their side effects......I would really appreciate thanks........

.Samy

0 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Samy ,

Nice to hear from you and sorry youre not too good with that stomach / wind issue ..

I never had that with my Graves  but my daughter had very much the same symptoms for a year or two .. and ended up having her Gallbladder removed  much to my horror ... as it's not exactly there for nothing  it has an important job to do .., as you'll find out if you google it .....

Maybe it's worth asking your Doctor about it  and see if HE thinks your symptoms are related to your Gallbladder 

... .....   or will he just say ....

"    Oh !  It's just  your age "

Good luck though .. keep us posted how you get on with it 

Luv mx🌹

• Posted

Hi Madge thanks for your reply when they did endoscopy last month they only found stomach gastritis .....I google that gallbladder and its link with stomach thanks once again.....another question after been in remission from.graves r u still taking ur vitamins and minerals supplement s
    • Posted

yes Sammy .. i'm DEFINATELY still taking all my supplements 

vitamins, minerals and nutrients ...  to tell you the truth i'm scared to stop !!

but i intended to keep my Immune system up to optimum and i just know that's how to do it !    it's an expensive regime i suppose ... but can we afford to put our health at risk by Not taking them ... I don't think so.

and i'm certainly feeling well again... Only problem really is that I still can feel very tired early evening and i'd love to sort that out .

Good Luck Samy 

luv mx🌹

• Posted

Thanks Madge that's exactly what I'm scared off I don't wanna stop my supplements only one thing which I did ask my GP is about ferrous sulphate one a day which I was taking and has just stopped to check the ferritin level again bcs mine was really low and GP did nt prescribed I started taking it myself after reading here on the forum now my GP wants to check where my level of ferritin is bcs he said taking iron tablets for long term is not good but I was only taking one a day and since I have stopped taking it I'm feeling dizzy I got headache and pains in my legs I don't know y but I'm going for blood test tomorrow and will let u guys know abt the results if its still low then I will start taking it again

• Posted

I think the early evening tiredness is bcs we have auto immune disease and once its there its there it can only be controlled am I right ....I think that's what I have learnt but I'm sure u guys have more knowledge than me

• Posted

well good luck with that blood test tomorrow ... and i'd definately be asking for a breakdown of that test ...printed....  and get a copy Samy .. for your file.

Your Dr. could well be right about the ferritin ..    but then you may be right too,  that you need it  and if you don't have it you pay the price .  ask him tomorrow for an update on his  opinion and explain why you feel that you are in need of it .  

Yes i think you're correct that having an auto immune disease could well be the reason for tiredness .  But i think Graves' disease leaves your body so robbed of vital ingredients that you inevitably feel very tired , very easily

I was told way back at the beginning of my Graves that my iron levels  were okay ... and i trusted that advice ... but i'm now thinking maybe my doctor was wrong about that too... and maybe i do need iron for a short time .     Think I'll find out more and maybe try it for a while to see if it makes a difference to my sleepy feeling  around dinner time.

Best if Luck Tomorrow 

Mx🌹

• Posted

Thanks Madge that's how I was before adding ferrous sulphate and b12 and after taking those 2 one each everyday I was feeling really well still get those aches and pain on and off but I think that's part of the disease bcs one of the other doctor told me that when u do get the inflammation attack u get these symptoms and I have read that too that your iron and b12 needs to be in a really good range for your thyroid to work properly otherwise u get symptoms of thyroid

• Posted

That's it Samy ..  I'm off on a mission now ...to see how my Iron levels are doing  ...  thanks for reminding me ...

I'd put that right at the back of my mind .. but it really makes sense   To me now ......

of course you'd be tired without iron in your blood .. 

I'm surprised at myself for  that blip ... 

... just believed that  dopey doctor that my iron was " fine " 

Don't forget to let us all know how things go ...

Luv mx🌹

• Posted

Hi Madge got my blood results my ferritin level is 62 now range is between 15 to 300 and got full blood count done too and I don't understand those results but doctor says all normal ......have u got ur iron level checked how s your evening tiredness going on .....hope u feeling OK.....luv .....samy

• Posted

Hi there Samy ... 62 is NOT NORMAL  ... it may look within range ... in a range of within 15 ... and 300  ... you need to be a bit stronger than you're obviously coming across to your doctor Samy !   Tell him ....THATS ON THE LOW SIDE OF WHAT LABS CONSIDER  TO BE NORMAL .. and you'd appreciate his help on getting that value to become optimal ... or you could manage it by yourself IF you felt able to ...

I decided to take things into my own hands ... AGAIN  ...on the subject of iron ...

so I've been taking Iron  for the last few days since we spoke Samy .. also  taking vitamin C with it to combat constipation 

.... I definately feel much more awake and energetic .. and thanks to you for reminding me about it too .. clever girl !

These 💐 Are for You for being so good ...

How's your pain Luvvie ?

Luv mx🌹

• Posted

Aww love u Madge ...thanks ...thanks for ur reply I know 62 is still not enough that's y on and off I still get aches and pains and 62 I got bcs of supplementing myself after keep banging on doctors head but again no answers so I did it myself and after supplementing one ferrous sulphate 200 mg a day for at least 4 months I got this number still doctor saying its normal but I was feeling a lot better after addi g iron I have stopped taking it now bcs my GP said taking iron for long term is not good I'm so confused now don't know what to do ....my stomach pain is in control a bit bcs of omeprazole if I stop taking it it comes back a big thanks to u I really appreciate bcs of u I asked my

GP to send me for endoscopy otherwise he was keep saying that its muscular pain ....really happy that u have started taking iron tablets. It will make a lot difference ....luv u ....samy

• Posted

🙋

Aww shucks  😻 Xxx 

I'm so glad ...that endoscopy could be the very thing that shows what's wrong Samy !! Well done ... it's  Linda  who is always telling folks to  

" empower  yourself "  and I couldn't agree more !!

When we sit there looking Stupid that's exactly how they treat us ... but when we suddenly surprise them and go along with a little knowledge and take things into our own hands .. they're astounded and usually cave in !

At least That is what we want .. ......that way we get the tests that we need ..

I'm fed up reading women writing that they're being treated for anxiety and suspected mental health issues .. when their troubles are all Thyroid disease symptoms  !!!

Time to stand up and get the help that we need to be able to live our lives to the full .

When we start to  tell them that we're on this great site which is widely acknowledged and respected  .. it makes them think again !

As they don't like to be held accountable ... or responsible !

Haha ... that's it .. rant over !

Samy let us all know how you're doing ..and how the ultrasound goes ... 💖

love Madge x🌹

• Posted

Thanks Madge ....I know and do appreciate ....Linda is great no doubt she helped us all a lot God bless her and yes if u r not ur own doctor in these days qualified doctors don't care sorry but I have to say this bcs we all gone through a lot and still are that's exactly I said to my GP that I don't have any anxiety u guys are giving me this bcs u r not treating the root cause and then now he believes when I told him that on health forum which I have joined ppl there r those who r suffering with this disease. Or others and they want to live their lives that's just we all want he does understand but is restricted. Bcs of NHS ....my ultrasound was fine and endoscopywas fine too they just Found stomach gastritis and has given me omeprazole for that I hope we all get better soon

• Posted

Sorry Madge wanted to ask did u have a goiter with ur graves I had but doctors says its not there anymore but I still get pain in my throat same side ear and head I mean on right side of my face there will be few days when I don't get it then it comes back again do u think my thyroid is suffering that's y I do get this ....and in the afternoon I start getting this pain then I have to take paracetamol just to calm down the pain

• Posted

No Samy .. I didn't have goiter...

Thank God !  

I had been feeling very ill with loads of pain in my limbs suffering dreadful HYPER symptoms toenails falling out hair falling out head and body etc etc etc ...

When all of a sudden I thot I was about to die .. I could hardly speak properly or eat without chocking and shook inside and out !!! 

A rash started in my face !  And I went to private Dermatologist who was kindness itself .. she spoke to me very nicely asking me questions I did not think we're related to my rash

...And Eureka !

She announced I had Thyroid disease ....... was going to write and tell my doctor so !

He was mad at that but subsequent tests ... done very reluctantly ... proved Graves positive !

So that is why I treat my Immune system ... as ....I SEE IT  ...  as my problem .... and NOT my thyroid Gland !

That's it !

But like you I'm always picking up bits of info to help me ... and always hoping to share my ( so far ) successful attempts to heal my Immune system ... I say so far .. as I'm aware it could all start to slide backwards .. that's why I'm loathe to stop replacing vitamins minerals and nutrients ..

Same as you really ...🌸

Love Madge 🌹

• Posted

Thanks Madge ...with me none of my immediate family have thyroid problem but my mums uncle her dad s brother had goiter and thyroid issue that's what I did find out when I was diagnosed with graves disease and yes I had same symptoms like hair fall and nails coming off from the nail buds on my feet did nt pay that attention bcs I thought it might be bcs of wearing tight shoes was keep changing it but when I had my youngest one in 2015 she was only 5 months when I started having all the symptoms but when I was 7 weeks pregnant with her I had two panic attacks on one day one was when I was at the surgery but midwife did nt pay any attention when my husband asked her that these things never happened with her this is something strange she said oh it happens sometime and guess when she was born it was emergency c section which was all bcs of medical negligence bcs after my water broke I was asked to wait 24 hours and I knew there was something wrong bcs she was nt moving and then she sucked meconium and become distressed and was in special care even she was 8 pound baby bcs she had worst kind of jaundice and was under photo therapy lights for a whole week which gave me a lot stress bcs I could nt see her like that and then few months later I was diagnosed with graves but it took them 3 months to diagnosed me I wasn't accepting that I have depression or anxiety which they were trying to prove and I was diagnosed bcs I researched a lot and ask GP to check my thyroid the day she did I was diagnosed still on their case most the time .....hahaha ....bcs they don't pay attention but feel better after getting a lot help from u guys .....love u. Guys a lot ......samy

• Posted

That's quite a story Samy .. and I'm so sorry you had to suffer like that ..  no wonder you became HYPER  ... my daughters birth was very very similar to that too ... it was very traumatic .

Maybe we go through periods of HYPER  ... and   HYPO   throughout our lives .. I don't know ...  I've certainly been told that many times now ..

I firmly believe though that to be at the top of our game ... we need to be high on vitamins Nutrients and minerals  .... to feed every part of our bodies that requires strength to work properly ... and well .

It took me a long time to realise  that if we eat well and  nutritiously  ... then we've pretty much Cracked it !

If we cannot eat all the foods we should ... then we Must supplement to help the process .

I have never eaten meat in my life ... as it made me feel dreadful just looking at it and smelling it as a child !    And my Mother was always dragging me off to the Drs ..  because I was so thin and fragile ..

I'm pretty sure now that  that hasn't helped me any .. as I probably had No protein in my body for  a very long time ..

Now I choose wisely what I put in my mouth ... NOT  DIETING !!

As I can't be bothered  with that in the slightest ...  just being good to myself .. eating eggs  ,  Fish   , gorgeous vegetables  like avocado and smoked salmon  for example   ..

It's ALL  in  OUR  hands  and we Know all the things that we SHOULD  eat  !   

It's just  DOING  it   !!!

... that's what will make us well  ...  ALL THROUGH THE GUT   !!

Therein   lies   the Key to our Wellness ....🦋

And because our Thyroid Gland is soooo integral  for our better health ... as you could almost say it's our Metabolism ...  we simply MUST give it what it needs ... for  us to  Function Properly  🌸

Stay well Samy ... and  Strong ... always 

Love Madge x🌹    🙋

• Posted

Thanks Madge ...no doubt u r absolutely right its all happened bcs of stress and won't lie to u yes poor nutrition s ...but now I'm trying like u to add them in my daily intake hope we all get better soon....luv ....samy

• Posted

Hi Madge hope u OK ...just wanted to ask if u don't mind u told me once that u had stomach ulcers ? If u had how did they treat u and I are they cured and r u still on medication for that if so which medicine is that pls ....thanks ...samy

• Posted

Hi Samy 🌸

Yes you're  right I did have stomach ulcers ..10 of them !

And they were undoubtedly caused by taking Ibuprofen  ! Which my dr. prescribed for  pain ... Bad Doctor !!

I've never touched them since 

As they're notorious for burning the gut !

They cured me very quickly with Omeprazole  and a course of Antibiotics  ... I can't remember the name but if you Google that treatment you'll get the name I'm sure !

Linda suggested Being checked for  Heliobacter Pylori  .. I know you have already .. but maybe again wouldn't hurt .

You still feeling bad with your

" Gastritis "   ?

Hope not Luvvie ..

Love Marion x🌹

• Posted

Incidentally I DID HAVE HP   .. though didn't know that at time ....and the treatment cured that too !

Mx🌹

• Posted

Thank u so much Madge for ur reply I'm taking omeprazole. Which is helping a lot just wanted to ask that for how long u took omeprazole .....thanks ...lovely.......samy

• Posted

Samy... with the Antibiotics and Omeprazole for  HP    ..   I think it was a two week course my GP gave me for it ......and it was   GONE !! 

Dont let things lie though ... try to get to the bottom if it .  There IS  a reason for it ... it's just flipping well finding it  that's the problem  !

Keep trying  🌻

Luv Mx🌹

• Posted

samy ... maybe if you weird happy taking your Ferrous sulphate  you could reduce the amount , down from 200mg per day  . to something like 20mg per day and tell your dr. it's because you felt good taking it ..  see what he says about it.

i feel so much better since you reminded me about taking it . 

luv mx🌹

• Posted

My doctor has always told me my bloods fine but I'm not so sure I'm so tired ? 

• Posted

Hi Shirley sorry for a late reply that's what the doctors say its normal within the range but in fact they not so always get the copy of ur results and post them here with ranges then we all can help u...

Samy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.