Graves Disease, Carbimizole and Supplements

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi Everyone,I have recently been diagnosed with GD and have been put on Carbimizole 5mg, 3 times daily. Does anyone know the best supplements to take and in what dosage ? I've heard Acetyl-L-Carnitine, Vitamin D3, B12, Flax Seed Oil, Coconut Oil and Selenium may be good to help to get the thyroid back under control and help with some of the symptoms.

I was hypothyroid for over 10 years and now have gone hyperthyroid due to GD. No weight loss, but high blood pressure and high pulse rate, sometimes feeling overheated with enlarged right eye.

I am also concerned with gaining weight on Carbimizole as well as hair loss. So any supplements to deal with that ?

Would be grateful to hear from anyone who has tried supplementation and does it work ?

Thanks so much biggrin great forum. 

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

It's me again, I understand that changing my diet can help and I think I eat quite healthily, high protein, low carb, lots of veg, fruit and 2 litres of water a day, so it is supplementation not diet I'm interested in. Thanks 
    • Posted

Be careful with supllements sometimes they have substances in them that stops the carbmiz working. I think its zinc. Check with your doctor before you take it. Also no cauliflour. Also watch how much fruit you eat it contains a lot of sugar.
  • Posted

Thanks Alasdair80006, will check any supplements I take with Endocrinologist.
  • Posted

Hello Jan,

I've been on carbimazole and thyroxine for 18 months - am due to come off both in two weeks.  I didn't know about the zinc but make sure you don't take anything containing aspartame!! 

• Posted

I have heard that coconut oil is NOT good for Graves patients.  From what you describe, I don't think you are strictly a Graves patient.  It sounds like you might have both Graves and Hashimoto's.  If so, you need to ask your doctor to check for antibodies for both.  If you have both, prescribed meds are going to be very difficult to take as the Carbimazole causes hypothyroidism very rapidly and replacement Synthroid causes hyperthyroidism very rapidly.  So before you take any supplements confirm your diagnosis and that you don't have Hashimoto antibodies as well.  Also, when you get any lab tests at all, ask your doctor for a copy of the results and keep your own file on them.  If you have any questions about them and post to this Board, always post your results along with the normal range for your lab.  If you have Hashimoto's at all, then regular L-Carnitine, 3,000 to 4,000 mg is better to take.  If you have Graves only, then Acetyl--L-Carnitine is best to take starting at the lowest dose.  Most patients are deficient in vitamin D so vitamin D3 nd Omega 3 fish oil is good to take.  For your eye problem Selenium is good along with pads soaked in Witch Hazel placed over closed eyelids.
  • Posted

Thanks Stephania3 and Linda187..... I will ask for Hashimoto antibodies test as well.

Hashimoto's is that just hypothyrodism and is it unusual to have both Hashimotos and GD? Yes my doctor wanted to have me on Carbimizole to get blood pressure and pulse down, as well as to treat the other symptoms, she wanted to get me back to hypothyrodism as better than having heart issues.  

I think as so many different variations of autoimmune diseases, that not all doctors know how to treat. She also said ok to exercise, but I am thinking if blood pressure and pulse rate high before I start an aerobic session, I might just conk out, thought I'd stick to walking and swimmingbiggrin

• Posted

Also doctor has not put me on Propranolol, thinks Carbimizole should sort my high blood pressure and pulse rate!
  • Posted

I'm in an experimental stage with meds! They just put me on PTU 50 mg twice daily which I hate but was losing hair with methimizole so we are seeing if this works but with such a big number of PTU it really worries me! I do take vit D and Vit b complex and fish oil and biotin and starting l cartinine today ! I will let you know as I go how things works for me! Are you losing your hair? It's really nerve racking to lose so much daily! I wash every 2-3 days now but still lose during the days I don't wash! Hopefully this stops soon! That will make me feel better right there if my hair stays in my head!

Good luck with everything, this is a great site to get info!

• Posted

Once you start the Carnitine remember to get your blood tests often and make adjustments in your meds because if you have Hashimoto's at all, your levels are going to drop drastically with the meds and Carnitine.  You need to get blood levels done at least every 6 weeks.
    • Posted

I'm scheduled for blood work on April 1st! Hopefully I see I difference I can drop this medinice down! Don't need liver problems on top of everything else:-(
    • Posted

Thanks Renee48912, no not currently losing hair as have only be on Carbimazole 3 days, but have heard horror stories of people taking antithyroid drugs and having lots of side effects. Good that you're taking extra vits and supplements, hope everything works out for youbiggrin
    • Posted

Hopefully you don't lose any hair, they think it's because my thyroid isn't level but I'm not to far off so not sure! I just want it to stop! Very emotional thinking someday you may have no hair or just a little here and there is horrifying !:-(
  • Posted

Hello again,  I've been on carbimazole (or it's related equivalent) for 18 months twice now and have never had any hair loss, on the contrary, it's thicker than ever!  I've heard that if you get a sore throat and it lasts more than 3-4 days, then go straight to A&E, as it indicates your immune system is down, but I never had that problem.  Don't think any drug is without potential side effects......
    • Posted

You're lucky your hair has gotten thicker, actually I've never heard that one! Yes they do say that about a sore throat, they don't want your blood cell count to drop! Too many side effects but you are right, they all have them, all drugs.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.