Graves’ disease eye issues

Posted , 5 users are following.

still having problems with excessive tearing in the eyes in the morning especially wondering if anyone has gone to this… Also seem to have a bit of blurred vision… Any answers solutions?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Graves Opthalmopathy develops in people with an over active thyroid,caused by Graves

disease. Eye problems by the swelling of the tissues, muscles and fat in the socket behindthe eye.. This is common with Graves. The eyelids membrane may retract and such leading to infect the cornea. The best thing you can do is to see your Endocrinologist to have this remidied

Report Reply
  • Posted

if you were diagnosed with graves disease and now experiencing eye issues such as dryness and pain in the eyes, it sounds like you may have thyroid eye disease. I also suffer from TED and my eyes hurt and it felt dry all the time. My ophthalmologist recommended using night ointment Genteal. I did that for 6 months but then switched to using an eye mask, which I preferred over the ointment. It forces my eyes to close completely and they stay closed all night and when I wake up I don’t feel any pain or hot liquid coming out of them. I’d recommend you to find a good ophthalmologist and use eye drops regularly and try either ointment or mask. Hope that helps!

Report Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up