Graves’ disease ,had thyroidectomy , have thyroid eye disease

Posted , 5 users are following.

Will thyroidectomy help my thyroid eye disease and double vision????

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I have Graves and TED without the double vision. Right after my thyroidectomy, I could visibly see an improvement in my eyes. I felt that some of the swelling around the eyelids went down. Anyway it's been 10 months since I had my thyroidectomy and my eyes have progressively improved. I see an oculoplastic surgeon and a neuro ophthalmologist every three months who take measurements of the eyes and I was told the numbers are getting better. So in my experience the thyroidectomy did help my eyes. I'm still going to still need surgery but not as extensive as I was told before the thyroidectomy.

• Posted

Hi. 

Thanks for replying to me. 

Do you think it is important to see a neuro opthamologist? 

• Posted

I wouldn't have known to see a neuro-ophthalmologist, but the well-known hospital where I was being treated (NY Eye & Ear Infirmary) had me seen by both an oculoplastic and neuro-ophthalmologist. I went along with it since they knew best. 

• Posted

Hi, I would recommend having a look at the article called ' Update on thyroid eye disease and management'. It is available online.

Below I cite three paragraphs:

It is important to recognize every patient’s course of TED is different and unique. Some may have minimal signs while others have sudden onset of severe complications such as severe diplopia, proptosis and vision loss.

Smoking has a strong relationship with the course and severity of thyroid eye disease. The relationship is dose-responsive between cigarette use and probability of developing thyroid eye disease. Smoking is associated with an increased risk of ophthalmic disease after radioiodine therapy and worse or delayed outcomes for treatment of thyroid eye disease.

Uncontrolled thyroid function is associated with more severe thyroid eye disease. However, antithyroid drugs and surgical subtotal/near-total thyroidectomy therapies typically do not improve the ophthalmic disease course. In fact, radioiodine therapy for Graves’ disease can exacerbate ophthalmic disease; particularly in the context of smoking, active disease, or elevated TSH-receptor autoantibodies.

• Posted

Now that scares me. I had cataract removal on both eyes. The left eye was done about five or 6 years ago, and never had any problems. My right eye was done this last January, and it is irritable, and feels gritty at times, as well as blurry vision. I just recently found out I have hyperthyroid. Now I am wondering as I wait for the appointment with the Endocrinologist, is my thyroid a part of this problem?

Thanks for revealing this!

Arlea

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.