Graves Disease/ Large Goiter in Males Experiences

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm 36 years old in the US. I developed a big fu**ing goiter at age 17. I had radioactive iodine treatment. Took two runs to shrink the goiter. It's been gone ever since. I suffer from anxiety, depression, fatigue, substance abuse (self medicating) I've never held jobs or made a career for myself. Luckily I've had a beautiful wonderful open minded wife to support me. Although my level of functioning has proved to be a strain on our marriage, and I'm hanging on by a thread right now. Which is why I have to FEEL BETTER..now or never. I'm currently in a rehab program to curb/kill the self medicating and Get to the root of the problem, which I believe is my thyroid disease. I want to find an endocrinilogist that will be helpful. The endo I had back in the day was insensitive and basically laughed when I told her about my symptoms. Lol.

I would like to know if there's any Males out there that have had similar experiences such as mine. Any advice on armour thyroid compared to Synthroid would be very helpful. I'm in South Carolina USA.

Thanks for any input.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I'm not a male but what i have heard is that people who have lost their thyroids do better on a T3/T4 thyroid replacement combination rather than Synthroid.  While this is manufactured as Armour, it can also be provided by a prescription for a compounding pharmacy to make it up or by the physician adding Cytomel (T3) to the Synthroid prescription.  

• Posted

Wow !

You've had a bad time Jed .. And I'm glad you have the love of an good woman to help you through ... As many have lost the

Loves of their lives because of their illness.

It's good that you've found this site ... and if you stay with us you'll find your way through the mess ...

I don't know whether you are Hypo or Hyper

... Do you ?

I have Graves' disease ( hyper with antibodies )And many of your symptoms

Are similar to Hyper... But please keep checking in on this Forum now and you will find amazing people , both men and women who have struggled their way through and have been helped so much by finding others on here who are kind enough to take the time to help !

Have you been to your Doctor and has he taken your bloods to test your thyroid ... If not please go and ask him to do so, as you need a diagnosis ...

Write down a list if your symptoms

Look up or Google ....

Thyroid disease symptoms.

.. and check which symptoms you have and show them to you Doctor So that he will test your blood .

Get your results and come back on and print them for others to tell you what they mean as they have more knowledge than most endocrinologists !! ...

They will then give you great advice on what to do next

I think your instinct is correct ! It does sound like you need help with your thyroid

You will feel like a new man very soon Jed as long as you keep trying to find what the problem is and then start learning how to heal your Thyroid which seems to be out of sync .. And also your loving relationship

Good luck ... Don't give up ... As you are the only one who has the power

to fix this ... No-one else !

Mx🌹

• Posted

Thanks so much. Wow I didn't expect that.

Yes I started out with a diagnosis of graves disease/ extreme hyperthyroidism .

As of now my symptoms are Eye issues, dryness redness blurred vision at times. Weight gain. Puffy skin and skin rashes. Fatigue has been an issue for a long time. No desire to do things. I have to make myself be productive. My anxiety has decreased since I've quit self medicating ..about 5 weeks clean but I have a long road ahead. I've been diagnosed with bipolar 1 disorder and take serioquel for that.

I'm on .175 levothyroxine. My latest blood test from 1 month ago is....TSH-17.26. Normal .5 to 5.0.Total T3 is 64 on low side T4 Is in normal range. From what I've read this is Hypo.My levels are always a little high or low....or way high or way low.

I'll see a doc this Wednesday to get a good plan of action. Thanks so much for your time.

• Posted

Hi Jed

You sound positive already ...

Stay on this site ... It's the weekend

And people are busy doing other things but they will be back on shortly to help with their knowledge

There's a lady on here called Linda who gave me ...( and others )

hope .. I'm sure you can look up her name here .. And look back at her posts ..

I'm sure she will see your post and reply to you with concern ..

So ... You have Graves ..

You're in the right place now !

Help is on its way to you ..

Be strong ... And make up your mind to continue .. Youre trying to save all you have here .. The very best of Luck Jed

Mx🌹

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.