Graves Disease / Overactive Thyroid but Normal TSH Levels

Posted , 3 users are following.

​I suspect I have Graves Disease and or an Overactive Thyroid. The disorder runs in the family and for the last few years I have felt the symptoms gradually get worse however my TSH levels have remained at "normal"  Most recently i've felt my anxiety levels increase and have been suffering panic attacks I have been seeing the doctor about this since July last year and she has me on propoanonl and an anti depressent whilst also doing CBT treatment both of which have a limited effect on treating the anxiety symptoms and palpitations but i am still feeling restless all the time having dry and gritty eyes and generally feeling tired all the time whilst suffering from insomnia and not being able to fall asleep I am also quite nervous and irritable not to mention the increase bowel movements. 

These symptoms are chronic in the fact that I have been suffering them for at least 8 years but are gradually getting worse. i've had my thyroid tested at least 3 times once back in 2006/7 once in 2012 and once about 6 weeks ago and the results have all been normal TSH levels (not sure the actual level of TSH in 2006/7 but 2012 and the last one were both 2.5) 

I am just not sure what else to do. I feel like every time I visit the doctor now its just a waste of time and that rather than finding the underlying cause she is just treating the symptoms. It took her 6 months from when I first went in July for her to do the thyroid test and I wonder now if she had did it at the time would the levels of been different as at that time i was probably at the worst I have ever been between feeling constantly on edge and anxious not sleeping at all and feeling extremely fatigued and restless and not being able to relax. 

Is it possible that i could be suffering from Graves Disease but still testing as normal with the TSH? Should i be asking her for any other tests to be done? I just want to start feeling normal again 

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ross, I went 20 years undiagnosed with just the TSH tests.  You need a full panel of thyroid tests.  Ask your doctor for Free T3 and Free T4 together with a TSH antibody test (the latter confirms Graves).  Then you will probably be put on Carbimazole to bring the condition under control.  You will be advised to either have a radioactive pill or full thyroidectomy.  Personally, I am hoping to go into remission but have refused the radioactive pill.  Will have a thyroidectomy as a last resort.
  • Posted

Ross,

I was the same sort of knowing I wasnt feeling well for years before I finally got sick. I think eventually it was a combination of stress and diet that pushed me over the edge.

Today after years of being of being hyper then hypo I have finally sorted out my diet and I wish I had done it years ago. Basically its vegetarian with out the grains and bread with a little meat. Suddenly I sleep and that seems to fix both the stress and the irritability.

Good luck

• Posted

Hi Ross,  your symptoms as I read them - anxiousness, restlessness, insomnia, heart palpitations, fatigue,  are all symptoms of magnesium deficiency. This deficiency exacerbates symptoms over time and its a vital mineral that many people are deficient in.   Dry gritty eyes can be helped with selenium.   Zinc, magnesium and selenium and copper are all vital minerals that support the immune system naturally.     Check these out online.  
  • Posted

p.s  ive just re- read your post.  panic attacks and depression are also linked to magnesium deficiency.   Its a hugely important  mineral, and its really hard to overdose on it as any your body doesn't need goes to your bladder.  My daughter had a load of it given intravenously when she was in intensive care once for an asthma attack.   No doctor since has mentioned this mineral, yet I believe it saved her life. cool

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.