Graves disease with awful neck and shoulder pain!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Since having Graves' disease I have had this awfully stiff neck and shoulder which is so painful!! Worse as my levels fall in range it slightly on the lower scale! Has anyone else had this? It's really getting me down and not sure why its happening!? Ugh

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Karmaway,

I googled hyperthyroidism/Graves with neck pain and came up with Dr Quervain's thyroiditis. At least the symptoms are of neck pain.

Sorry to hear that you are in pain, and hope you'll find a way to resolve that too.

• Posted

Yes, I even ended up having a shoulder operation. As it turned out, it was all due to my overactive thyroid and both shoulders got better as soon as it was under control. Very severe pain in both shoulders and very limited movement. I had cortosteroid injections twice before the op. Then the pain came back 6 months later and I was signosed with severe hyperthyroidism.
    • Posted

Oh god!! Ugh!! It's rubbish isn't it!! I wonder what causes it?? What shoulder op did you have? I've been referred for physio!

• Posted

I can't remember the name of it but it's the keyhole one where they go into the joint and shave off the lumps and bumps inside the joint that are causing the impingement. It did work for a while (once the pain of the op wore off) but only lasted for 6 months before the pain and impingement started again. I had physio and it didn't help one bit. But then once my thyroid was under control, I noticed all pain was gone and I pretty much have full function of my shoulders back.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.