Graves, hyper, nodule, goitre

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have Graves' disease and I am waiting to get total thyroidectomy because I have numerous nodules in my thyroid. I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder 13 years ago, at the same time I was sure there was something wrong with my thyroid. Put on antidepressants and left for years. I was diagnosed 2 years ago with graves after I experienced a thyroid storm. Got put on tapazole until I could get in to see the surgeon. My anxiety is back full swing now and slight depression with it. I had my anxiety med dose increased but still don't feel much different. Please, please is there anyone on here that experiences severe anxiety and is it something that is associated with graves. My endo doesn't think so

1 like, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

My doctor told me yes it has to do with the thyroid. And after treating it he said my anxiety would decrease tremendously, which it is starting too.
    • Posted

Dear Cheryl Mind if I join in with you and Vanessa? I am wondering what med that you are aking that is helping to allay the anxiety. I feel terribly anxious.

Hope that you do not mind my asking.

I am in the UK. I presume that you are too.

• Posted

I'm on sertraline but my anxiety is back again now after 7 years. My dr upped my dose a couple of weeks ago. Still waiting for it to work its magic

• Posted

I don't take meds for anxiety. I deal with it because I have a phobia to taking meds. It's hard enough for me to take my methimazole. I use a lot of prayers and people telling me to calm down it will be alright. In 2011 my anxiety was horrible and I was seeing a counselor.

• Posted

I just got all my blood work back and my magnesium and b12 are in a good range, I have a copy of it so I could see with my own eyes.
  • Posted

Hi I am completely the same as you. I suffered severe panic attacks out of the blue 14 years ago and was but on anti depressants, they worked and I was on them for years until I decided to get pregnant.  I came off them and had an awful pregnancy.  I had preeclampsia and my blood pressure couldn't be controlled afterwards so was put on bp meds and citalopram.  Got back on track and then decided to come off the tablets 3 years later - had a lot of stress happen and before I knew it I was very ill and had Graves disease. I had to take a year off work and have finally got my anxiety under control.  They wanted to remove my thyroid as my bp and anxiety where dreadful.  The anxiety was worse than the graves. 

• Posted

My anxiety is worse than my graves as well. How did you get your anxiety under control? Did you get your thyroid removed?
  • Posted

I went on sertralin which was awful - I was a zombie and then tried citalpram 30mg with propananol. My thyroid was controlled by block and replace. Everything finally stabilized after 2 years. I have been off block and replace for 2 years and anxiety has improved each month. I finally can enjoy a glass of wine and to lead a normal life; its wonderful. X
    • Posted

I've never heard of block and replace. I'm glad you feel better.

• Posted

The block was 40mg carbimazole and the replace was 100mg levothyroxine - I was originally on carbimazole which sent me hypo as I wasn't tested the often enough. I was put on thyroxine to bring me back up but also had the carbimazole to make sure I didn't go really high again. X

• Posted

What's the symptoms of hypo. I was worried about that. They lowered my meds two 20 mg once a day but I won't get tested again for 3 wks.

• Posted

Vanessa I have Graves Disease too for one year almost ... And have now become euthyroid, with the help of Carbimazole ... And several supplements which I learned about on this site ...

I had very many symptoms ... Some dreadful ... And Anxiety was a biggie !

Your Endo must be nuts if he doesn't know

Your anxiety is related to your Graves' disease

Start off by Googling Graves' disease Stmptoms .. There's loads to learn on there

And ask some of your new friends on here

what to do next

Stay on the site ... And learn how to get yourself well ... And hopefully without chemical drugs... Although Carbimazole helped me immensely .. But I weaned myself off of it with L Carnitine

Good luck Luvvie ??X

• Posted

Thank you so much for your advice!! It really helps when I have people like you to talk to, people who has been through it and know exactly what I'm going through.

• Posted

Pleasure Luvvie ??

Ask lots of questions ... The lovely people in here will always be able to help you ... And tell you what you can do next ... Family and friends are great but if they've never had this disease they have no idea how to help you ...... You are the one who , by self educating , will come through it ! ??

• Posted

Vanessa/Madge

Anxiety and depression are the two major signs and symptoms for me lus all the other nasties associated witha thyoid disorder. Yet why did a certain endocrine surgeon deny this and aksed me if I would like to see psychiatrist. I replied why is it necessary to see a psych for an endocrinological condition? Is this  new treatment.

Now muy name is mud withdrs and I get a bad reaction from them.

One GP told me three weeks ago that it is unecessasry to check the antibodies if they have been done once. I have registered elsewhere. 

• Posted

vanessa and madge sorry about the typos. I have anaemia and neuropathy. Can't even get any treatment for thse conditions except, wait for it, off a very professional and kind A and E consultant. He wrote to the GP about this. Guess wat happened/ Removed from list. I had not even done anyting wrong except be ill.

I am buying Vit B12 injections and self injecting soon. The haematology guidelines stipulate that if one has neurological signs and symptoms the neuropathy has to be treated with Vitamin B12 injections irrespective of the  B12 blood results which are often inaccurate and misleading.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.