Graves/overactive thyroid - colds

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was diagnosed with graves/overactive thyroid in July & am taking 10 mg of carbimazole a day & it is going down. However I have had 2 chest infections & numerous throat infections since then which I never had before was extremely healthy before!!  At the moment I have both!!! I have been to the docs & have antibiotics but they really don't seem to be working I've been taking them 4 days & there really is no difference - has anyone else had this have just felt rotten now for a couple of weeks seems to take a lot longer to get over an illness than it did before.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tracey .

Ive noticed I also suffer these kind of infections not too often but alot more than I did before I was diagnosed with Graves, out immune systems are not so good anymore and fighting these things take twice as long, i seem to get chest infection if anything and the exact same as yourself feel rotten over a period of at least 2 weeks. You may need a longer course of antibiotics seen as you have 2 different infection. 😩

Hope you pick up soon, there is nothing worse on top of feeling rubbish anyway, this time of year is the worst time to catch these things aswell.

Hope you get well soon. Take care

S x

• Posted

Thank you glad to know it's not just me!! Before I was diagnosed I'd only had 3 days off work in 5 years I've had 7 in the last 6 months 😞😞 x
  • Posted

Hi Tracy, I am on the same thyroid meds and I was reading a little bit about them and it says that they could lower your white blood cell count. I have only been on the medication 3 week and had bad sore throat and bronchitis. And having Graves your ammunition is not what it use to be. I hope you start feeling better!
    • Posted

thank you. Been on these since end of July & I've never been so ill in my life!! Takes twice as long to get over anything! 
  • Posted

Hi Tracey, 

I am also on carbimazole and noticed that I am much more suceptible to colds and infections. After just recovering from a terrible cold (never had such a sore throat in my life)  I caught another one and it again took about 2 weeks to get better. 

I started to literally avoid people that are coughing, sneezing, or have a runny nose. I wash my hands frequently and carry a small container with hand sanitizer for use in public places. It is important not to touch your mouth or eyes for example after typing your pin code when you pay by card. Just imagine how many people have touched the card reader before you. And how many might have just sneezed into their hands! 

Btw the antibiotics are given just to prevent or fight secondary infections (that are caused by bacteria). The common cold e.g. is caused by viruses which are eliminated by our immune system. Unfortunately, there are many strains of cold viruses out there. That's why you are not immune after catching a cold but can catch a (slightly different) virus straightaway. 

Hopy you are feeling better soon and stay well. 

Another thing you might want to try is propolis. It  is a resin that is produced by bees and ususally sold as a solution. It has helped me is said to boost the immune system. You can mix a few drops of propolis into honey and take a small portion now and again to soothe the throat. It also has antibiotic and decongestant properties. 

• Posted

Thank you very much I might the propolis a go, im back off to the docs tonight as still no better and its been 3 weeks now!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.