Graves : positive then negative antibodies

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi All,

Was diagnosed 2 yrs ago with Graves and had positive antibodies to confirm this at the time. l was only kept on carbimazole for 6 months and was taken off it after my blood levels stabilised. Recently though l thought l was going hyper and had many of the previous symptoms and my bloods showed <0.01 Tsh but t3 and t4 in the normal but slightly upper range. My GP put me back on carbimazole and recent bloods at the hospital showed negative antibodies but all other results practically the same. Can this happen with Graves, is my question? Any guidance would be appreciated.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Interesting and strange when you stated TSH <0.01, but antibodies negative. It could be relapse started as symptoms came back. But if antibodies are low, relapse should be more unlikely. What was the carbi dose you took for 6 months 2 years ago? Is it for the past 1.5 year you were off medicine without symptoms? Now what is your renewed carbi dose? As for your current condition, I think it can happen with GD case. The GD antibodies (TSI) may again start flaring up (for some reason: stress etc.) and attacking (hooking to) your thyroid to produce more T4 T3, yet at this stage TSI in your blood is still lowly detected. Wish you have more info from your doctor and share with us.

• Posted

Yes it can happen. There are more antibodies that can be involved with graves disease. I am negative for TSI, but I am going to ask my doctor for TPO (Thyroid Peroxidase) and Thyroglobulin antibodies. So you may have had typical grave's, but you can also have other antibodies attacking your thyroid. Graves can remit, but it's unlikely without diet changes and herbs to help heal your gut.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.