GRAVES - STERIOD USE WITH RADIOACTIVE IODINE

Posted , 6 users are following.

I HAVE HAD GRAVES DISEASE FOR 3 YEARS, AFTER TAKING CARBIMAZOLE AND THYROXINE FOR THIS TIME I HAVE NOW BEEN TAKEN OFF ALL MEDICINE, I HAVE JUST RETURNED FROM MY FIRST VISIT 6 WEEKS AFTER COMING OFF MEDS, MY LEVELS ARE ALREADY TOP END - I EXPECT FROM HOW I AM FEELING THAT MY THYROID WILL START TO BECOME OVERACTIVE AGAIN, (WAS IT ALL A WASTE OF TIME) I HAVE BEEN TOLD NOW MY CHOICE WILL BE TO TAKE THE RADIOACTIVE IODINE METHOD AND STERIODS AS I HAVE HAD TROUBLE WITH MY EYES, HAS ANYONE OPTED FOR SURGERY OVER THIS METHOD, IF SO WHY OR HAS ANYONE HAD SUCCESS WITH THE RADIOACTIVE IODINE - I HAVE HEARD THE PROBLEM COMMONLY RETURNS A FEW YEARS LATER.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi

I hope all goes well with your treatment on the 23rd.

It may well be the best choice for you and i am told that an underactive thyroid is much easier to manage and the drugs they use are much safer.

All the best

Lizzy

• Posted

Hi I am wondering if anyone could clarify for me as to whether you can still have graves disease after a full thyroidectamy.

I had a thyroidectamy a year ago but feel I am still suffering from graves but I thought that the graves would burn out after the operation

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.