Gray poo. What do I do?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I woke this morning and my BM looked a really dark gray or dark green. I can't tell. Am I bleeding internally. Now I am so scared this has been colon cancer all along. Should I be going to the emergency room?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

If you had bleeding coming from higher up, your stools would be very dark and tarry.If you are not getting tarry or coffee ground colour stools and you are not seeing blood in your stools, on the toilet paper or the toilet bowl, I wouldn't worry. Stool colour change can because by foods not digesting well. People with IBS sometimes get green stools. Try a food diary to identify these foods. Are you eating green vegetables? Stool colour change and foods not digesting well are connected to IBS. Try to stay calm.Health anxiety is very common with IBS and a lot of people get worried about bowel cancer when this is not the case.

• Posted

Quite honestly Pippa I am hardly eating at all because I am so afraid of the burn in stomach or pain that bounces around my abdomen. The pain now can never decide where it wants to be, my back, my hips' my abdomen, my stomach. I realized this morning that the citrucel probably isn't helping because all I am eating is bananas, chicken broth, white rice, rice crackers...every day. Those things I seem to handle ok, or I think I do. Probably not really since here I am suffering. Had apple sauce for first time yesterday and the burn was awful after and then of course the abdomen pain followed. My heart was racing and I was shaky around 10 pm last night so I drank a fruit juice blend of apples, banana, blueberries, and blackberries to bring my blood sugar up. Oddly the apple juice did not hurt but food is going right through me. What I eat at night is definitely coming out in morning.

Pippa you are truly the most comforting voice out there. Even my doctors don't life my spirit like you do. Knowing food not digesting is common with IBS helps ease some of this fear. I did not realize food could make stool gray or green. THANK YOU!!

• Posted

Don't be afraid of your stomach burning. My stomach burns a lot because of acid reflux but antacids and milk help it. The more you panic, the more your stomach will burn. Write down all the foods that trigger symptoms and avoid those foods. Try to eat normally but choose bland foods that are not fatty, rich or spicy. Reducing your food intake will not help you; it is very important to eat. Apple sauce may be acidic; I would avoid it. Reduce fruit intake since it is causing your food to go right through you. The morning rush is very common with IBS; try imodium and try more soluable fibre. Insoluable fibre can be bad for IBS. Google insoluable and soluable fibre foods.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.