Great Expectations

Posted , 11 users are following.

Fascinating forum. The difference in reported experiences is quite something.    I am 10 days post-op, tkr.   I can identify with many of you ,so far, and am keeping fingers crossed.

If I talk to anyone due to have this done I will start with these words - `you are going for major surgery, causing massive trauma to a weight bearing joint - you won`t be playing squash in2 weeks ! `.  Get real!!   Most of the advice on here is good and ,as many of you point out, there is no `norm` - we are all individual and respond and heal at different rates.

During my treatment so far I have been disappointed with some individuals who have followed a regimented line in answer to questions - `by day x you should be able to do this`, `expect to be on crutches for 3 months` etc etc.

Now , being an older, more cynical b****d I take all this with the scorn it deserves.With a leg twice its size a bend of 90 wasn`t going to happen - my body knows that!

Which is not to say that you ignore everything.Short bouts of execise are better than too much. And remember you will find bending and stretching much easier if you warm the muscles first with a hot water bottle. If you have swelling then get your leg up, with an ice pack for 20 mins followed by the heat treatment for 20, then rest.    This isn`t a race.   My goal is to get back on my bike, but I haven`t set a time scale - I`ll know when I`m ready.

Overdoing recovery in the early stages can lead to inflammation then infection - not a good place to be.

I have to get the swelling down and get rid of massive bruising - but despondent - no!

Let`s get the message out to everyone - by all means have expectations but you absolutely must be realistic !

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Very well put Tony.  Everybody will hit their marks at different times.  I keep trying to compare my two knee replacement surgeries to each other.  I had one done in July and the other in September.  They are definitely not the same, even though the procedure was identical.  Much more pain and stiffness with the 2nd surgery.  

I also can't recommend enough the need to strengthen your muscles as much as possible before surgery. I underestimated this before the first surgery, but made sure I worked much harder before the second one.  

We'll all get to the finish line ... it just takes time and patience.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.