Great Fourm. Very Confusing Posting Structure.

Posted , 5 users are following.

As you know, unlike most forums, the threads here are not in strict chronological order, which can make it very confusing both to follow the continuity of a thread, and to locate specific posts, especially in the longer threads.

The reason is because, again unlike most forums, we are given two options to post. We can either post to an individual poster, or post to the thread as a whole. Depending on which option we choose, will determine where that post will end up.

The reason for this unique structure, as explained to me by a moderator, is that it dealt with the problem of people starting off-shoot discussions (in it's extreme  called “hijacking a thread”) by letting people respond to the off-shoot discussions as opposed to the main poster, so that that like minded thoughts are kept together.

And while I think the intent of the moderators is admirable, I believe the solution is far worse than the problem.

Not only does it break up the flow of the main thread topic but it also has the unintended effect of enabling off-shoot discussions.

I understand that the normal convention – strict chronological order – is far from perfect. Threads do go off topic, and can get very unwieldy. But that said, I think there’s a reason most forums remain that way. It still seems to be the best of the worst solutions. And, moreover, it’s what most people are used to which is very important.

I’ve been participating in multiple forums for over ten years and had no clue that in this forum you could post either to the forum itself or to an individual poster but to an individual  post. My guess, and from what I’ve read, is that most people here also have no clue –  so some post to the forum as a whole, others to individual posts, and for no particular reason other than they see a posting box. And that results in posts going here and there for no particular reason.

The result is a kind of thread chaos except for the minority who study up on the system, but with so many new people coming in with their problems, I think such a rite of passage is both a burden and an unrealistic expectation for such a diverse group of people, some coming here for the first time with some very important medical questions.

Just want to reiterate that I think this is a great forum, just wish the powers that be would consider going back to a more conventional posting format.

Best regards,

Jim

3 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Dear Jim,

I liked the way you set out your arguement. You deserve my support, but, oh that terrible B word, I have come to like the structure on this forum and wish that the others would follow suit.

Still, I would accept the change were that to come about. I value the interactions on the forum far more that any preferred structure.

I hope others will help the moderator by making their views known.

George

• Posted

I agree with George; you make good points but I like it the way it is.
  • Posted

I find it easier that answers go to the post it is replying to. That is what happens on older style news groups though in them you have to open each post.

It's a good forum in that people care about each other and are polite even when not agreeing with what a person may say. Any trouble makers soon get a warning from our moderator.

• Posted

One problem with newcomers is that they think they need to reply and thank each individual who has posted to them when a general thank you would be enough.
  • Posted

My problem with the forum is that I joined several groups and I was getting far too many email notifications of new discussions, and loads from discussions I answered so I had to leave some of the groups and discussions which is a shame.
    • Posted

Yes Georgia, it has been a busy time recently. Sometimes it is quiet and you wish more people were contributing. It is good when lots is going on" But there is a limit to what we can follow. Thank you for your activity. 

I expect there is a prod coming my way. I owe you the start of a new discussion.

• Posted

Prod lol You've got me laughing about the prodding. Lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.