great heavyness

Posted , 8 users are following.

Would someone kindly explain why, after getting comfortable on my side in bed with no feelings of pain or heavy thighs at all, in the space of about one hour my operated thigh on top feels as heavy as lead and terribly uncomfortable so much so I have to struggle up again and go into another room to sleep on a recliner as I can’t sleep in bed on my back. Where does all this “dead weight” come from after initially my legs feeling nice and light? Thank you. 

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Have you tried a pillow between your knees? 

xx

• Posted

Sarah

I've no idea why it happens but I think it is quite common.

You dion't say how long ago your op was but it will should get better with time. And a pillow between the legs may help.

Most of us hate sleeping on our backs but do generally succeed in doing so.

Hope your recovery continues

Mike

• Posted

As both posters have said you should be using a pillow between your knees but I would suggest you use a full size firm ish pillow and bring it up so it supports not just your knees but that it stops thighs meeting, if you do lay on your back put a thin pillow under the base of your spine to support the lumber region and a little bit higher pillow under your head and maybe a pillow under your knees, seems like hard work but does help, if all else fails sleep on your recliner, just make sure you do your foot/ankle exercises often to keep a good blood flow because recliner doesn't allow the feet to be raised enough, good luck

• Posted

I sleep on my back and placing a pillow under my knees has been very helpful. I feel the heaviness when I stand. To me it feels like swelling. 
    • Posted

I’m unable to sleep on my back. When I’m on my non operated side, after about an hour, it becomes really difficult to prise my knees apart to put a cushion there. It’s like thighs have turned to solid lead...... 
    • Posted

the pillow should be put there as soon as you get into bed. Please use a pillow and not a cushion xx
    • Posted

Yes I understand the logic behind that but I’ve got restless legs so the need to keep moving them if only a bit is always there. You HAVE to move them about with that creepy crawly condition. I’m also having to wear those tight surgical stockings for another 4 weeks and i hate to feel my legs trapped. That’s how my legs feel in those tight  stockings. Trapped. But I have to wear them so that’s that but just trying to explain why I can’t simply put a pillow there and stay still like that. My gp has prescribed diazepam 2mg but that hasn’t helped one bit. I’ve also bought a bottle of tonic water for the quinine but as yet that hasn’t helped either. 

When I’m not wearing these stockings and can sleep without pain I can sleep for England. Go to bed at 9.30, up at 6am. No problem. It’s just a nightmare at the moment. But thanks for your help. smile

• Posted

yep I fully understand what your saying, a lot of it is what we all go through, I am 17 months down the line with mine. I found the pillow helped and just moving my feet, doing foot pumps got rid of the restless legs. I also used an ice pack every night before I went to bed. Everyone is different and believe me it does get better. Luckily I didn't have to wear the stockings, have had them before and I didn't lie them either. If the diazepam isn't working maybe you also need to get hold of the doctor and ask for something else. Has he/she prescribed anything for the restless legs? Stick with it llove it will get better I promise you. It's a long hard journey ups and downs galore but it's so so worth it.

Love Gillxxx

• Posted

My GP prescribed Quinine Sulfate which has more effect than tonic water. You could ask if you could have that. I find it fantastic. 
    • Posted

Sarah I must apologise to you I am not 17 months post op I had mine done on the 21st May 2015 which is 31 months post op. I must have had a senior moment smile I am 69 smile

Sorry about that, 

Love Gill xx

If you want a laugh read some of my past postssmile xx

• Posted

Sarah I have never slept on my back before. Would have terrible nightmares. But I’m thankful I have been able to with my THRs. 

I do have my shoulders/head slightly reclined. 

• Posted

Sarah by the way I’ve seen pics where you place the pillow between your legs when sitting at the end of bed then bend ur upper body towards the mattress and bring legs up and lay down. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.