Great news I'm now cast free!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Now cast free after 6 weeks hooray!

Now in boot, can part weight bear & can stand & walk on ankle without much discomfort which is great news.

Did try to sleep without the boot last night but found it a bit uncomfortable so will wear it tonight but did not need any pain relief which is really good.

Been told to try walking barefoot occasionally after about a week to get leg muscles back in shape.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

That's brilliant news I'm hoping to be the same in 2 weeks
    • Posted

Go Sarah

I was worried after reading a lot of problems on here & apprehensive about PWB but so far so good. I am using a walker but at least I can stand on both feet without any pain & it will help for later on.

It's great to be doing SOMETHING MORE!

GOOD LUCK xxx

• Posted

I have a frame got crutches yesterday but like you so looking forward to both feet going down. 😀
  • Posted

Wow.  Thats brilliant.  Barefoot, if you can manage it.  i wasnt told I could do this and i am five months post surgery and still havent walked barefoot.  I did find it too much strain on the achillles plus i have been dealing with other issues including accute infflammation.   Good luck with your recovery
    • Posted

Hi Patientholland

Do you think because you have been 5 months none barefoot that your achilles has ceased? But if you are not allowed to go barefoot on advice from your Doctor then there is very little you can do about it.

So sorry it's been such a long process for you.

Hope it changes soon. xxx

• Posted

I Think you're right that there is some resistance there on my part. But saying that, my Achilles is not doing too badly as I have continually stretched and massaged it and my calf since my stitches were removed early February so it is more flexible that it was previously. I had inherent foot problems in this foot that pre-dated my injury including a neuroma which does make me more risk averse and cautious. I had a severe Achilles problem for four years which culminated in me needed steroid injection to make a full recovery

Before I had my steroid injections this week, any attempt at walking barefoot set up such a severe inflammatory response, it served to put me off.

I think that if this steroid success maintains and after I have seen the consultant in two weeks, I will start to walk barefoot and re-establish my Physio

I will also be visiting my podiatrist to be fitted with an orthotic

I have found that listening to my instincts has worked. I have felt totally unheard by my surgeon to whom I repeatedly reported difficulties and it was only when I sought a second opinion that an ultra sound was ordered immediately and the severe inflammation was diagnosed.

The inflammation has mitigated against my recovery and worked totally against any physio that I attempted. So I'm hoping that the next couple of weeks see a calming of the inflammatory situation, enough to allow me to proceed with my recovery.

I'm am almost too frightened to say that this is the first time in five months that my foot has felt normal and I'm very grateful to the second consultant for listening to me rather than dismissing and patronising me like my original surgeon.

So hopefully onward and upward

Thank you so much for your reply

• Posted

Hi

Listen to your intuition & instincts they won't let you down. Sorry you have had so many problems prior to your broken ankle obviously that's why it taking so much longer to get mobile.

Doctors are all human & don't always make the right decision or look deeply enough when we reveal our symptoms or have X rays done. The only way to make them re-evaluate your condition is to get a second opinion that contradicts theirs. That doesn't matter to them but it does to YOU as long as you are getting the CORRECT TREATMENT that is all that matters!

If you are paying for your own treatment or via insurance that does NOT mean you are getting better treatment, but it does mean you can choose WHO & HOW MANY Doctors you want to attend to you. As the CUSTOMER you pay/you choose WHO.

Too many people are intimidated by the so called PROFESSIONS instead of standing up for what they feel is right for them.

If it doesn't sound right to you it probably isn't!!!!

• Posted

My achilles got very tight from being casted for 7 months and it has never been tight before in my life. It helps to do stretches where your hands are up on the wall and the injured leg is behing the good leg so you can start to stretch it out (when you are ready for PT). It is attached to muscles under the foot that can hurt when you start walking and these stretches and building your calf muscles and stretching on a steps, where your toes are on a step and the heels are hanging over the end, where you can stretch out the back of the achilles, while holding on to the rail can help too. Later will come toe raises to build the toe strength, for the walking and going down stairs which is hard (partially because of the tight achilles too). Btw, my heel hurt a lot when I started WB, if that happens to you, it is normal and goes away as it gets stronger. Also the whole top of my foot tingled all the time and felt partially numb and I thought I might have nerve damage. It is totally fine now. Massage it a lot and do your stretches. There are a ton of PT stretches on line and on you tube. 
  • Posted

Great news‼️

Karran

• Posted

Hi Karran

Don't know about you but I will do anything & everything to get my life back after this enforced waiting to heal this broken ankle?

I am already planning my escape. All the things I am going to do as soon as I can walk & drive. Can't wait!

This has certainly given me the "Cease the Day" attitude which is the lesson this has taught me.

Try to stay positive it does help you feel better about confinement & plan your escape too.

Sure Arnica tabs have helped too with healing process.

• Posted

Congratulations Ali! Great news!! I remember how happy I was on that day! Just to take a bath or shower feels amazing and you feel like you are finally moving forward and the intense waiting is over! It took me 4-5 weeks to walk after my cast came off. Barefoot walking didn't happen until about week 12 or 13 for me. Muscles looked half way normal after a few weeks of WB, which gave me hope too. I know it takes about a year to get them totally back to match the other calf, but no one but you will notice. Enjoy your freedom! 
  • Posted

If one is available, find a therapy pool to walk in. A friend of mine who has had many foot injuries (he's a snowboarder) said that walking in a therapy pool was the best thing he ever did for rehabing his foot. The water helps with weight bearing during these first weeks of rehab.
    • Posted

Great advice Lori! It helped me a ton too....but even better than that, you feel so free swimming along. It is awesome!
    • Posted

Great idea Lori. Have never heard of this before & doubt if we have one anywhere near here but will google. Thanks x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.